COMODO Internet Security 3.5 BETA Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by doktornotor, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Honestly from what history has showen. when a company "Branches out" they be come Jack of all trades. Good at all, Master at none. but again only time will tell and I will get it a wile before I pass any judgment on it. let it at least get off the starting line before we black flag it. ;)

2. DarkButterfly

DarkButterfly Registered Member

Of course. That was precisely my point. We can't say if it will or not become one of the best. Only time will tell.

But taking in consideration that CFP is a great firewall, then I believe that Comodo AV has all to become great as well. But then again, only time will tell, and no one can predict if it will or not be. ;)

Best regards

3. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

One thing I would like to mention. Comodo's firewall has come along way. When v3 was first released, it had many bugs. But they listen to their user base and now their free firewall is one of the best. I think the AV will go the same route. It really can't be compared to the big boys now but give it some time and it will evolve into one of the better ones.

Ice

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Firewalls are not the same as antiviruses. You can make an excellent firewall within one year with good dev team. It's impossible to do that with antivirus.
    Unless you have several years of work behind you already, backed up with good team of devs and analysts at the moment and good team of devs that work with existing team but focuses on new tech mainly.
    Antiviruses require ongoing, constant and never ending support. Firewalls do not, except for new features, fixing bugs and here and there evolve the tech to handle the threats. The first problem was with CAVS 2.x. It never reached final stage. It was constant, very slowly updated beta. That was the first nail in its coffin. No Vista support. Another one. And so on and on...

5. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

I simply pointed out a truth----nobody can predict the future.
    I am not even using the Comodo AV because it sucks at this moment.
    However, what if they change their mind and borrow some sophisticated av engines to integrate into their CIS 6.0, several years from now? Then probably CIS will be top notch. Or maybe a genius joins Comodo and writes the most advanced av engine?
    Nodoby knows what's going to happen in the future.

6. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

:D :D :D

Unfortunately comodo has no compatibility to windows 2008 server, I wonder why? It is pretty similar to vista architecture. It´d be better if comodo would make up the firewall before starting a suite. There are a lot of bugs in latest 3.0.25 release that lead to total gui crashes.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

AV developement is not linear and never was. You can suck now and you can still suck 6 years later if you cannot evolve properly.
    One man is not going to change much. We've seen that before...
    No one knows for sure if you insist so much, but we can predict the future very accurate. And Comodo is not going to be top notch for quite some time... thats not because i have anythig against Comodo, thats the reality.

8. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Nor do about 90% of other consumer-targeted products, nor are those 90% of consumer-targeted products compatible with Windows 2003 even. I wonder why? Perhaps because people don't use server operating systems at home? :rolleyes:

9. Kayracc

Kayracc Registered Member

The comodo AV engine is not that bad really, i think they just don't have the manpower for new samples

It's detection is Okay, most of the 'big boys' i find it detects without issue, it missed a storm sample a while back when i first started testing it, and so far it misses alot of the 'random' crap that noone will ever encounter in their lives

And in reality where the AV leaves off, d+ does a good job, one unknown i accidently ran on my production computer instead of VM, d+ stopped

it actually failed to stop a mbr rootkit another person found recently, but hopefully they'll figure that out and fix it up

Point being, it could be alot worse

Not to mention the price tag of free, so complaining about how bad comodo is, is well, pointless, I mean really, all this talk about 'what they did before', and 'what they promise now', even if it becomes a complete FLOP, again it's free, no harm no foul

I've been running the new beta of CIS, it's quite light, not as light as say eset or avira, but light, detection needs some work, but i've been submitting some stuff around

and they also have a new sandbox at

http://camas.comodo.com/cgi-bin/submit

Where anything rated as suspicious gets sent over to the AV labs, going on 2days for some of my samples so far sent to that, really thinking its a manpower issue for them, hopefully that will change once CIS comes out of beta and doesn't require complete attention :)

SO summing this up

1. comodo is free

2. because it's free your complaints are really mute :p

10. DarkButterfly

DarkButterfly Registered Member

Things take time to be done. Was anyone expecting CAV3 (part of CIS) to be the best now? I don't think so.

Do Comodo supporters expect it to be one day (it won't take a life time)? Of course.

Comodo provides free products for home users and in some extent to enterprises as well, so I guess the supporters of Comodo have all the reasons to help Comodo improve their software. That will mean that they will also be better protected than ever.

11. IceCube1010

Firewalls are not the same as antiviruses. You can make an excellent firewall within one year with good dev team. It's impossible to do that with antivirus.

Hard to say. It depends how hard they are working at becoming the best AV around.

It is also true the CAV 2 was not very good. I think what happened here is they got some talented people envolved like the BOClean guy and other developers from some hips type of program. Comodo took a step back and re-desgned their AV approach, that is why CAV 2 never came out of beta and why CAV 3 took so long to be released.

Bottom line, I found a few bugs with CAV 3 and posted at their site. If they can correct the ones that are out there, I might give it another spin.
    The problem I have is a feel too safe with that little red umbrella.

Ice

12. saberfox

saberfox Former Poster

Comodo has made the same promises over and over again. If you ever browsed their forums, you can see for yourself what the CEO promised for version 3. And now that version 3 is here and sucks as bad as ever, the same promises are being made again. "Give us a year, we'll be among the top by then!"

With Comodo's ability to sucker fans into believing them, I think their staff should move into politics instead.

13. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

The one I know left years ago and did the right choice. :)

14. SystemJunkie

:D Why not they are fast and well preconfigured.:D

:D :D

But you can see a tendency.

Probably you are right.

Which one? If you don´t tell them how should they figure it out?

Think so.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  15. 3xist

3xist Guest

The AV Team has grown incredibly between v2 and v3... Alot of good guys have joined. Comodo now have more ways of catching Malware. Melih (CEO, COMODO) Is giving him self 12 months to achieve the goal of becoming one of the best AV's (Like CIMA) and also a new "Malware Research Group" on the forums where Forum Users can join via Melih and ask to help out and find samples, etc.

I'm not saying this because I am a Mod on the forums, I seriously believe Melih & Comodo can achieve that goal. I'm staying positive. :)

16. Kayracc

Kayracc Registered Member

Unsure, i just find the stuff(the sample i gave them was discovered a short while back by someone else), i decided to see if comodo had it, they did not, i passed it along, a moderator ran it in there test system, and said they were going to have a look at it

My job was done long before i even posted about comodo missing the rootkit :)

And yes, since it's free, you lost nothing in using it, so really where do any of your complaints matter? :p

17. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, they are much more expensive and they come at a price even if you get them for free (legally or illegally :p ) - you'll have compatibility issues with badly written apps, there are apps that completely refuse to install because they have allowed windows versions hardcoded in installer when there's no real reason why they shouldn't run (and mostly they do when you hack this out).

Then there are these AV/FW/HIPS etc. product that mostly are either really incompatible or vendors prefer to disallow running them on server OS since they want to charge you $$$$ for an enterprise-grade product instead of $$ for a home user product.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually they do make pretty good software. They should just stay away from antiviruses and focus on their firewall, registry cleaner, memory firewall and presumabli in developement, defrgamentation program.
    For these programs you need some research and a good team of programmers and you can be the best of the best as there is no base requirement to achieve that. With antiviruses, you simply need loads of past work in order to achieve that.

19. 3xist

3xist Guest

As Melih said in the forums before - Everything is being watched & being improved. Comodo has over 250 programmers, They are broken down into teams, etc (Therefore more products, etc), So basically Comodo wouldn't tackle something they can't handle - Everything takes time & patience... Just like how the Firewall is one of the best today.

20. 031

031 Registered Member

I totally agree. Comodo firewal was an instant hit as there were not many good free ones . In case of av the scenario is totally different. Even if they make a good one it will take years to make a user base . Until that happens they will have to keep up the good work and i highly doubt comodo has that capability. Simply they should stay away from this av thing and work on everything else.

21. SystemJunkie

Wow that is a lot.

You can trial it for some months no need to buy, I was just curious how it feels. It is very fast and tcp/ip stack looks hardened in comparison to e.g. windows xp. (at least I saw no patches) I saw a lot of compat. issues therefore I quickly switched back to vista. :D But e.g. latest Zone Alarm beta works on Win Server 2008 64 bit enterprise edition and Eset Sysinspector flagged SMSvcHost as potential harmful o_O Webwasher even thought it could be fileinfector.o_O

22. IceCube1010

Well, I took the plunge. I think it's a very nice security suite. It's very light on resources. The only issue I have with it comes from running a defrag. It slows down to a crawl. When I disable the realtime AV, it defrags just fine. I posted this at Comodo. I believe others were having the same issue. Other than that, I will test other apps etc and see how it runs.

Ice

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

On that particular point I would disagree. I've experienced enough problems with all of the currently available free antivirus products that I can't recommend them. If Comodo succeeds in making a free AV that is more effective and compatible I would switch to it in a heartbeat.

24. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Instant hit?

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's just funny that all 3 major free AV's are based on commercial versions.
    avast! being the most similar to commercial one and other two leading right behind with few more obvious limitations. The fact is these 3 free ones are often far better than many other strictly commercial ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.