Comodo Internet Security 3.10.101801.529 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by 3xist, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

I suggest you try OpenDNS first; DNS is all they do, and since they have been doing it for some time, I find it highly unlikely that Comodo's servers will be any faster.

2. luanme

luanme Registered Member

That's a good question, would it be better to use Open DNS or Comodo's DNS service?

Also, does Comodo update automatically because when i try to manually update it, it comes up with:

"Error 108: Update could not be completed. Please check your internet connection settings."

3. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

This is the one big fault I find with them and that's letting them know of a bug or maybe a suggestion. It sometimes falls on deaf ears. Not sure if it's because it's free or not but I do find this an issue.

Ice

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this new comodo is the best comodo ever deliver;)

5. 3xist

3xist Guest

Yep... :)

I'm quite interested and find useful the new Comodo SecureDNS. Feedback is that there are noticeable speed improvements which is nice...

Btw: This is what happens when you attempt to enter a site that is malicious and it's on Comodo's site blocklist.

The rewording will be changed however to a more "malware warning" type terminology.

Cheers,
    Josh

Attached Files:

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap i install it;) cool

7. 3xist

3xist Guest

Another thing I might mention is that if you do install the Comodo HopSurf, With a 3 marks checked at installation, It won't reset your Firefox home page, It will for IE and make it "http://www.hopsurf.com/".

Yes... Searching with HopSurf is still powered by ask. But that's it.

Cheers,
    Josh

8. simisg

simisg Registered Member

comodo dns servers very fast............. but i don't know about comodo tactics....

9. 3xist

3xist Guest

Guys...

The issues regarding COMODO giving SSL's to malware - COMODO is NOT alone in this. EVERY CA is doing it, Because you can NOT validate a "Domain Validation" Certificate (Yellow padlock you see on the bottom of a website). GeoTrust/Versign and others don't agree on validating DV's, So anyone can grab one, Pushing Comodo to sell it too, And btw the DV for the last malware author that was bought up was immediately revoked. Comodo tries to educate people about DV's and hence recommend "Extended Validations" (Green bar you see on a webpage in the address) - These CAN be validated and checked and there is a thorough process to go through.

Please read here for more information: http://forums.comodo.com/general_di...own_malware-t39564.0.html;msg286754#msg286754

And Comodo have just done a Press Release on it too, also a video: http://www.comodo.com/news/press_releases/02_07_09.html

Again, Comodo is not alone, CA's are all part of it. Simply cause validation does not exist for these certs (Just DV's) - As long as you got $$ in your pocket come and grab it type thing.

Let's not continue this discussion. :)

Cheers,
    Josh

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  10. 3xist

3xist Guest

Yes. It's fast. Others are also saying it's fast. You won't notice a AWESOME/TERRIFIC/STUNNING Speed, But it should be noticeable and satisfactory at the very least. The Comodo Secure DNS Servers are set up in 5 different Continents around the world, It's a MASSIVE world-wide network infrastructure, hence you get good speed anywhere. It's also Smart & Secure, Blocks malware urls, etc (Kind of reminds me of Webshield on DNS). LOL.

Cheers,
    Josh

11. 3xist

3xist Guest

Yes. It's been passed on to the guys responsible.

Cheers,
    Josh

12. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Ohh .. do you realize how many DNS requests should be performed to make 20-7 = 13 Mb/sec ? Taking in account average DNS request makes ~200-300b this would be something like 54,500 DNS requests/sec.

PS. The guy seems to smoke very special grass to experience such noticable speed up :)

13. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Thank you, Josh - very professional. ;) And don't worry about "saying hello too early" - it happens to us all. :D Just wondering, is it more likely that v4 will be the one including Smart Mode or some build after that? Only to make assumptions as this is the last v3 like you said - or can we be sure about that!? :D

14. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Is Comodo Secure DNS a DNS service which is procided by Comodo?

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The new HopSurf and Secure DNS are opt-in by default?

What is "Smart Mode"?

16. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

There goes a long time since the last time I've tried COMODO Firewall Pro. Yes, you heard it right. That's when I stopped using COMODO's firewall, since the very first version of CIS, which was buggy. I reported those bugs, and well, practically was kicked out. But, UI purple dots get their interest, and they create something COMODO HopSurf.

Initially, I thought that COMODO HopSurf was something like a service for new hip-hoppers to make their first steps. :D

Honestly, why include such in a security tool? I, honestly, don't quite understand it.

I must tell you that I really enjoyed using COMODO Firewall Pro, which I never had any major problems with. Now, with CIS, Ask.com, getting "kicked" for reporting major bugs, etc.... Would I ever use it again, and help even with the UI? No, sir.

I really hope the best for COMODO, but unless something changes in Melih's mind....

17. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I have to chime in here! I used Comodo firewall without D+ and ThreatFire and could not believe how light and fast it all was. When the OA free license became available I removed Comodo and TF (why not? rated #1). Point is, I like Comodo! Having said that, if you really do not want to use your ISPs DNS servers, for gosh sakes just use OpenDNS! There is no way in heck Comodo is ever going to be able to touch them in Domain/url lists or speed in a hundred million years. This is what they have been doing for a long time and there are all kinds of options and tweaks you can apply to your account/profile...and yes it is all free!

18. 3xist

3xist Guest

Hey Guys

I'll try and answer more questions:

What is Smart Mode? It's not here yet... I am not sure when it is. But it basically auto denies and allows certain requests.

HopSurf opt in by default? Yes. (Don't go crazy at me pls...)

Secure DNS opt in by default? No.

I just did a sticky guys about Secure DNS, You don't need to install CIS to use it. No software/hardware needed.

Works on MAC, XP & Vista - How to enable/disable:

http://forums.comodo.com/feedbackco...o_secure_dns_enabling_disabling-t41987.0.html

"Comodo's Secure DNS's server infrastructure currently spans 15 locations (nodes) and five continents around the world. This allows us to offer you the most reliable fully redundant DNS service anywhere." - So far so good by reports. :)

Again... This is last v3 series... then its v4... GET READY!!! :)

Cheers,
    Josh

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  19. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Aside from any opinion, some technical aspect should be taken in account. For one to be actually faster you need that ping time to your DNS server was faster. Even if some remote DNS is faster processing the requests than your provider server, you need only one hop to reach provider and nobody knows how many hops to reach remote DNS. I'm afraid in some cases you can get slowdown as a net total, even if DNS server itself works faster. I mean you also need to take in account a traceroute to your remote DNS.

20. 3xist

3xist Guest

Yes. Take for a test drive. See if any malware urls you throw at it results in error (yep.. gonna be changed that silly terminology!).

Love this DNS thingy. :)

Cheers,
    Josh

21. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

hmm this DNS thing sounds interesting but im a little cautious, is ther a privacy agreement? cuz it really doesn't sound like there's much stopping them from tracking w/e u do...

22. 3xist

3xist Guest

NO information from you is traced. It's an optional free secure DNS infrastructure.

All it does is speeds up, secures, and smarterizes (there is no such word, i just made it up)...

Cheers,
    Josh

23. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Thank you.New function is so cool.I have to consider using comodo again.New comodo is very attractive.
    But I still have a question.Comodo's file protection can distinguish reading and writing?In previous comodo,its file protection can't distinguish reading and writing,we can't set a rule about a file to be reading or writing respectively.
    In new comodo,can it?

24. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

hehe i like ur use of "smaterizes" :D but is ther some sort of privacy agreement for it btw? cuz ur word, although good, isnt really much proof...:doubt:

25. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Somebody asked about the forthcoming Smart Mode in CIS. It's my understanding (right or wrong) that this will be the addition of an intelligent BB element to D+ as an evolution from the current dumb HIPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.