Comodo FW/D+

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Smiggy, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

Have to say that I'm very impressed with this product now.
    Tried it numerous times in past but the pop ups and training mode really annoyed me to the point of uninstalling.
    Hardened it and now I think it's a 'keeper'.

Was using OA free for a while and that was great too but felt its footprint was a little high for my liking so opted to try D+ again as reports in here were saying it was light.

Have teamed it with Roboscan (Bitdefender engine) and I think I'm now quite safe.
    Have used SandboxIE/GesWall in past and all great but think I'll stick with setup for a fair period.

:D

2. a256886572008

a256886572008 Registered Member

comodo:

configuration --> CIS

game mode --> enabled

3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Yeah it's very light. Anyone that says otherwise... it must be compatibility issues (not playing well with something else on their setup). I'm anal about things having a light footprint, and tweak everything on my box to get every ounce of efficiency I can get out of it. You would too if you still ran a box with 1 GB of RAM (at least it's dual channel, 2X512), and a single core, 2.4 ghz Celeron CPU. If it were anything but light it wouldn't be part of my setup.

I tried out the full CIS suite briefly just to see if it was as light as I'd heard (I heard you barely notice it at all compared to just using the FW/D+)... and I can vouch for those claims. But still I care not for a real-time AV, and even that little bit I did notice turns me off. As I said, I'm anal about this stuff.

I also don't understand the claims of "tons of popups". I use Clean PC Mode (not training) initially. Assuming you have a clean box (and you should), you don't get popups. It assumes it's a legit/clean app and just creates appropriate rules for them. Then after a month or so, when everything that's going to run on my box has by then, I switch it to Safe Mode, and tighten the rules up a bit. I don't understand how/why people are getting so many popups. What are they doing?

I can only hope they maintain the light footprint in v.6. Every time I see them add modules (i.e. sandbox) to it, I cringe. I don't want them, and it's just unnecessary bloat. Even if you disable the modules some of the bloat is still there. The device drivers, and whatnot. It still feels heavier than it would otherwise. I wish they'd offer "slim" versions... like just the firewall alone, and one with FW/D+. That would be amazing! They'd probably put LooknStop out of business, because the thing most people love about it is that it is trim/streamlined like that, while having the same granular rule-setting. Perhaps even more-so.

I understand that they want to make an all-in-one suite that's great at everything. Not a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. A master at all. And they believe they can do it. I think that's great. But what they should understand is that most people have fallen in love with other products by now that do those other things... namely Sandboxie. And many are AV fanboys as well. So they should offer streamlined versions (mentioned above) for these people. They'd corner the market if they did. Heck, I'd sooner pay for something like that than a fully featured one... because it suits my needs so exactly.

My flavor of choice would be the Firewall and Defense+. No sandbox, and no cloud features or trusted vendor list either... I like to be the boss of what's safe and what's not. And also don't like anything on my computer connecting out without my say-so, and unless absolutely necessary. Only on as needed/per case basis. I don't even allow auto-updating for anything. I'd pay $50/year for something like this, easy.

If v6 is bloated I'm staying with 5.

4. luciddream

Also, I made a post in the "other firewalls" section titled: "How do you configure your Comodo FW/D+?" It's very detailed and is a well hardened setup. It may help you.

One thing I didn't put in that post is that I also harden the "Predefined Policies" for Web Browser & Outbound Only a bit. If you're interested in how shoot me a PM.

5. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

Cheers dude, I actually used your post to harden my D+ along with another similar article I found on net.
    Chiron wrote the other one I used: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm
    :thumb:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

A very well authored piece it was too.Not much to add to it really.:thumb:

7. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

This is a quote from egemen, glad to see CIS staying light there should also be a huge difference in the AV

8. luciddream

Thanks Smiggy & Andy... when I saw 0 replies I thought nobody paid any attention to the thing. Same with my post on hardening the XP Pro FW. It's good to know I wasn't just wasting my time...

And yeah, that thread by Chiron is great too. That's why I pointed to it in my thread and gave it props (if you noticed).

Not using the cloud is a personal preference. I like to determine what's safe or not on my own, and also like as few connections as possible, only when necessary. I even block cmdagent & cpf.exe, lol! And allow the updater only as needed. Using the firewall to block itself... that's runnin a tight ship!

9. luciddream

Good to know wasgij6. I'm all about adding security and marked, useful improvements. Just not adding features for the sake of adding features. That usually only results in adding bloat and stuff I don't really need.

I expect the AV to take a huge leap forward. I still probably won't use it though. There are effects of real-time scanning that go beyond measurables like RAM, CPU usage/I/O, etc... I've yet to meet one that doesn't have a noticeable (if even only a little) impact on browsing speed. And it's also harder on your hardware.

I'd still like a slim version omitting the AV & Sandbox. That'd be a dream program. Because Sandboxie isn't going anywhere, and a lot of people feel the same way I do about that. And also the way I do about real-time AV's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.