Comodo FW and the Spyshelter test!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ratchet, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I have the totally "base" firewall installed, i.e. no D+ or anything else. Every time I try to install the test file Comodo warns me and I then give it permission to allow it "once". So how/why is it doing this? Does it some how "see" the word spy or something. Even Zemana allows the install and never makes a peep until I start each individual test. By the way I'm finding CFW nice and light with no conflicts (same thing years ago). I had used it before, then tried OA free, then had a free year with OA paid and most recently PFW, which doesn't seem compatible with Zemana, so I'm back with Comodo. Thanks!

2. guest

guest Guest

If you disable the sandbox and set the HIPS in paranoid mode you will get like dozens of popups just opening it. This is because the test make many changes before start every test.

If you want to block the sound and web cam add this

Make custom Groups ():

\Device\Usb#Vid* in "Defense+ -> Computer Security Policy -> Protected Files and Folders"
    \RPC Control\AudioSrv "Defense+ -> Computer Security Policy -> Protected COM Interfaces"

http://www.youtube.com/user/Anarchitektur#p/u/3/D9BPONNYk_g

3. Nizarawi

Nizarawi Registered Member

comodo doing very bad in the spyshelter test because don't have a solid keylogger protection

for sollutions posted by guest

comodo will give you an alert with no information about anything just this want to acces to unknown place

4. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Isn't ratchet's issue that he, as he wrote, didn't install Defense+ HIPS.
    Therefore, I guess, he wonders what is issuing the warning if only the 'bare' FW is installed.

5. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Ahhh! Someone actually read the thread. Indeed, that is what I'm asking and not complaining in the least. In fact I'm impressed that Comodo can do this since I don't have D+ or any HIPS component. I'm just curious as to how it can do it!

6. guest

guest Guest

Sorry my mistake.

Probably was a popup from the cloud behavior blocker

Put CIS in paranoid mode and you will get the detailed popups. CIS is probably one of the strongest HIPS out there. The popups that you are talking about is just the first one, in paranoid mode you will get dozens of detailed popups.
    Spyshelter is the only HIPS that protects against the sound and webcam logging but I don't see this 2 things too important.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Web cam logging is intercepted by other HIPS too, like OA.

8. Nizarawi

Nizarawi Registered Member

guest is the anti-OA :p

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Isn't that part of Defense+ Settings?

10. guest

guest Guest

Not at all, in fact I has been using it the last weeks, I even became a betatester and I have reported some bugs, but because I have found many incompatibilities with other security products I have uninstalled it.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1893034&postcount=5

Anyway OA is an excellent HIPS and since they added the registry and file protection in the paid version is highly configurable although not via HIPS, but it's not for me since it does not allow me to use other security software that I consider basic.

And if you think that I'm a pro comodo read this posted a couple of days ago:
    http://forums.comodo.com/news-annou...ling-us-why-t73410.0.html;msg524712#msg524712

Simply I'm not anti or pro anything, and less for a piece of software.

Now you make me doubt, I know that the cloud thing is highly integrate in the system, I'm not sure where stops, although you can disable it from settings that appear in D+ If I remember well (despite my signature I'm not using Comodo nowadays)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.