Comodo Firewall Version 3

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ejr, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I am presently using the Comodo Personal Firewall V2. V3 is being developed.
    According to what's is on in their forums, it will have full HIPS as well as a sanboxing application.

Question: Do you think this is too much for one application to do?

If it is done well, you could run that and NOD32 and pretty much be covered. I am anxiously awaiting V3. Just curious what you all think about the concept of combining a Firewall with Full HIPS and a sandbox in one product.

More than likely I will either run NOD + ComodoV3 or I will run NOD + OA with Firewall. I have been anxiously awaiting Mike Nash's release of the next version of OA as well.

But I can't run OA with Comodo. They conflict on my system.

2. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

OA conflicts with Kerio FW also. I have removed OA after waiting too long for the fix for this (among others) I doubt I will reinstall OAFW. I would rather not 'put all myeggs in one basket' and go for the layered approach....unless someone can convince me otherwise

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Well, you can still have a layered approach even with just one or two applications in my opinion.

IF the HIPS in Comodo V3 is as effective as SSM

IF the sandbox in Comodo V3 is as effective as Sanboxie or greenborder

If the Firewall in C omodo V3 is as good as Outpost Pro

Then that would be a fairly layered package in and of itself. Combine with a solid AV and you are done (unless backup and recovery are also part of your suite).

4. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Hi ejr,

Now your making me anxious. Do you when it's planned for final release?

No, IMO it's a good move if they aim to increase there market share, as the general users probably prefer all-in-one suites, plus users will face less conflicts. As long as the firewall is still available as a standalone product then it will keep a lot of us happy.

5. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I have no idea when it will be released. I don't even know if it is in beta yet. But I visit their site frequently and will certainly report back when i fi nd out.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I can't wait for version 3:p . Comodo rocks! :thumb:

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I am a comodo fan and love their firewall. Personally I hope that the HIPS part is voluntary. I am getting sick of HIPS (unless they make it user friendly ie: less popups) and have moved on to CIPS (Prevx1) which is almost the same but a community makes the decisions and you dont have to be bothered.

8. ejr

ejr Registered Member

My bet is that they make botht he HIPS and the Sanbox as modules that can be turned off or on. As far as getting sick of HIPS, I think we are about to be slammed with them. I bet every antispyware application will eventually have them.

But before that happens, they will need to make HIPS more user friendly, and that is starting to happen. Programs like Online Armor don't alert you very much at all.

Is prevx working for you? I got scared away from trying it because my computer is already getting short on resources and I had heard that it was a resource hog.

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I really hope that they just add features for a firewall!!!

10. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that your wish isn't gonna happen. So you might be stuck using V2. Of course, the fCPF is pretty good right now. So if you like it, I would suggest not upgrading. Or, save a copy of the installation file of the current version. And when V3 comes out, if it doesn't work for you, go back to V2.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I am sure that people who like to get a one stop installation process for their PC security may like this. But, personally, this looks more like another suite development and those tend to take up massive amounts of drive space and memory.

12. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Prevx1 is working just fine. I´ve been using it for a month now. Personally I dont care much about resources, I have plenty of it. 33k is what Prevx1 two modules uses. To me that is not much at all, and I can not see any impact on overall speed of the computer either.

I am intrigued about the sandbox feature. I hope it is something like Tiny Firewall 2005. There you could install a program in a sandbox, use it for a while to see if it does something you don't like, if good you can then move it to your system so it will integrate to the rest of your system (not sandboxed anymore) with a couple of mouse clicks.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I always want to have the programs improvements, so if I can disable that features...

14. btman

btman Registered Member

Doesn't there anti-virus have hips alsoo_O Or the upcoming version or somethingo_O 2 Hips popping up for everything... uh oh...

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Lets wait to see how it comes out. Having the choice to turn it off you keep your options open.

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Agreed ;)
    But they´re too much features for a simple software firewall. I prefer Jetico´s approach: minimal yet very powerful. Unfortunately, its configuration is a pain in the ass :(

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If i were to choose, CPF=FW+Sandbox. That would be great.:thumb: No SSM kind of HIPS. A GeSWall kind. All remains functional and safe. Concept wise. Not saying GeSWall is flawless.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

version 3 sounds great.

i found out my f-secure license runs out in december 24th aka christmas eve and my dad wont let me install nod32 intill then.

but when f-secure license does runout i will run nod32+comodo and i hope v3 comodo will be out by then.
    lodore

19. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I'm looking forward to Comodo 3.0.
    It will be interesting to see just what they do add to it.

20. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I presently run NOD32 + Comodo. However, I am going to wait to install V3 of Comodd until after it's been out a while. With these massive changes coming, they will probably have many wrinkles to iron out.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It.s interesting to see but I suspect it will take a long time to play really nice. So many features will obviously cause more and more conflicts on many systems.

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

ejr You must be an old ZoneAlarm man. :D

23. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

>I have no idea when it will be released. I don't even know if it is in beta yet. >But I visit their site frequently and will certainly report back when i fi nd out.

According to some poster on their site cpf v3. will be out in a month or so and will have full hips (and maybe sandbox?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.