COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.14.276 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Used to be a die hard outpost pro user, but ive switched to this release and im never going back. Works flawlessly alongside nod32, SAS Pro and ProSecurity and is light on resources - incredible software lol.

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Coolio, you are a real expert i see. In deed, when i first inspected the firewall ruleset, the first thing that i did was to delete Comodo's self rules and set Windows update to ask. :D Of course i have also deselected everything concerning auto updates, auto submitting files etc, too.

So System Junkie, my paranoid comrade, don't worry. We 've found the firewall that is meant for us! :D :cool:

3. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

I agree, it's unbelievable quality for a free product. :cool:

4. Fuzzfas

Imagine, that the last time that i tried Comodo 2.x was more than year ago, i think and lasted for not more than 10 minutes. As soon as i saw some horrible CPU activity with p2p, i uninstalled it and never looked at it again. I also hated the online activation. In general, my opinion of it was that it was too complicated to ever become stable, fully working and light. But now, i am impressed! Maybe it is still more complicated than most firewalls out there, but if you explore it tab after tab, there is a logic behind it and they DID manage to make it work right AND light!

Honestly, unless they find some important flaw, i don't think i will move on from this version. Sooner or later they will brake something trying to implement new features. In their forum i read about plugins. The more you add, the more bugs will come out. This version is "golden"!

5. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I also had a similar situation to Fuzzfas. I tried Comodo a year or so ago and removed it after a short time. I was somewhat reluctant to try v3 but I did. I do not use the Defence+ feature, but as a Firewall, for me, it doesn't get any better. This is as easy to use as you want it to be, or you can tinker with it 'til your heart's content. For a company to come out of nowhere to develop a Firewall just a short time ago is remarkable. Comodo v3 is to the point where other firewalls are measured against it! It is an outstanding product, period. For a product of this quality to be offered free is also remarkable. Development is ongoing, consumer input is listened to, what can you say? I also see no reason to move from this version as it is light and does not slow my computer down at all. From what I read here on Wilder's, the only F/W close to Comodo is Online Armor. I have never tried it as I have Vista. I see MikeNash posting regularly, and this is great support for all. But Mike also knows what he's up against. You will always have your nay and yay sayers but Comodo is a fine product. You can call me a fanboy or whatever you want, but, in the two weeks or so I've had Comodo installed, it has worked flawlessly!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  6. Fuzzfas

OA Free is very nice. I tried it just before Comodo. Probably, if i hadn't had this weird upload oscillations with OA, i would have never bothered to try Comodo. OA is newer, so it's natural to require some more polishing. But it is a very nice firewall. The other thing that i *think* i didn't like in OA Free, is that it didn't indicate me the IP towards which the connection request was. But i may be in error, because i only used it maybe for 1 hour.

OA is certainly easier to use and has the wonderful "run safer" feature, which is very nice. OA is certainly worthy of trying it. At the end, it comes down to personal taste. But for sure, those 2 free firewalls, right now give a black eye to most commercial firewalls out there.

7. henryg

henryg Registered Member

I just had this new version installed on a "clean" XP Pro machine..... and WOW!!! It's fast... it's light, even with D+ setting enabled. Based on it's latest version.... I might just switch firewalls.
    Still can't understand as to how they can offer something this good for free?

8. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

And do you know what comodo means? :D

= at ease, comfortable, homy, cushy, easy, convenient :D

9. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Two top quality firewalls with superb support equals good news for us punters!

10. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

We have tested virtually every firewall since the inception of firewall software, and I can tell you this newest Comodo release is by far the best. I did test OA, and it had a performance impact on every one of our older boxes even though they are optimized for speed. Therefore, at the moment, we have Comodo on all of our computers.

11. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Is it possible to block ip ranges..........it looks as though ports can be blocked....right ?

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes you can Rainwalker. See pic.
    To use a block list though, you need something else. I think an ipblocker plugin will be built at some point, but PeerGuardian is just fine. Since you use Vista, there's only a beta version available.

Attached Files:

13. bamaman66

bamaman66 Registered Member

I have downloaded 276 version on two machines and when I run diagnostics it shows I have installation problems but it seems to be working correctly. When I was installing it on each machine it showed I had a program installed that was incompatible. I did not have these programs installed but must have been some files left when I removed them. 1. How can I determine if the firewall is working correctly even with the problems shown in diagnostics? 2. How can I find the files left on my computer from programsthat I have previously deleted? Can the firewall be working effectively even though the diagnostics shows there is a problem?

14. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

It can be working fine. But see this file in the comodo program files directory called incompatsw.ini.

It keeps all the location of incompatible apps in there.

15. bamaman66

bamaman66 Registered Member

If I go into the incompatsw.ini file and delete the incompatibility will that solve the diagnostics problem?

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I think he means that if you open that file with notepad, you will see what programs are incompatible.
    Comodo is probably flagging left overs. Check for remaining files, and registry keys - use regedit, or something like Registrar Registry Manager in case regedit doesn't help; if you're not comfortable with this, you should backup the registry with ERUNT before, so you can always revert the changes.

17. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I have got to play the devil's advocate and say i have yet to find a free lunch of this size....some would say there is a first time for everything :doubt:

18. SystemJunkie

How to export the network rules?
    What is the easiest way to not retype all ip ranges if windows is reinstalled?

Beside this functions is extemely useful, I blocked a ip range here and now browsing works much faster.
    And the network rules work really not like zone alarm and some vulnerable routers.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  19. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

EezyPeezy

Attached Files:

• save.jpg
      save.jpg
      File size:
      106.4 KB
      Views:
  20. Mido

Mido Registered Member

I group,

Because this topic, I try Comodo Pro since a day.

I get from Balloon messages: When I open Firefox and Thunderbird, they want install a hook on MSCTF.DLL.?
    On Google for MSCTF.DLL I found this .dll have a relation with server or something like that.

Are those Balloon messages of those trial hooks installation on MSCTF.DLL are normal?

Thank.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  21. SystemJunkie

Likely a part of ctfmon.
    Thanks for info.

22. Meganeoman

Meganeoman Registered Member

Does anyone have problems with the latest comodo version and utorrent?

I've tried the version before this one and I get huge attacks on the comodo firewall free when I close utorrent!

23. Fuzzfas

I have UTorrent 1610 (not the latest) and all is fine. The attacks when you have CLOSED Utorrent, are perfectly normal. It happens with EMule too. The other clients still try to connect to the port that you HAD active. Change IP if you want to get rid of them. In any case, Comodo is stopping them, so all is fine.

24. Meganeoman

Meganeoman Registered Member

Yes I know but with other firewalls I don't get that spam of loging to the harddrive! With comodo the harddrive working to much!

25. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I did it to me also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.