COMODO Firewall P2P

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Paaniic, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paaniic

Paaniic Registered Member

How can I configure COMODO's firewall to more effectively protect my computer when downloading from Bittorrent, Limewire, etc.?
    If possible without comprimising speed :argh:

2. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

Hi Paaniic!!

I am sure you will get help here,but just as a point of interest,there is a top gun at Comodo forums,
    (of which I am a proud banned member),also known as Panic.
    With a few less a's and i's.

3. Paaniic

Paaniic Registered Member

I see, i'm not trying to impersonate anyone, i'm just new here:p

4. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

As far as Comodo (or any firewall) goes, you would need to open inbound ports for any server app to work properly. There is nothing you can do to improve security in a firewall when ports are opened. I have not seen Comodo in ages, but iirc, you need to set global as well as application inbound rules.
    There are other things you may wish to take into consideration which will improve privacy when file-sharing, such as using IP blockers. For this, take a look at PeerGuardian.
    Also, using an anti-malware (perhaps Comodo's built in), set to scan on writes, wouldn't hurt.

6. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

It should be able to detect P2P client and the ports it needs to open with.

7. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Go to Firewall, Predefined Firewall Policies.

Add a new a new Torrent policy.

You need a rule:

1) Allow ALL outbound TCP and UDP to ANY destination. (TCP and UDP OUT, ALL options to ANY).

2) Allow TCP and UDP from ANY to YOUR specific Torrent port (that you have set in your torrent program). (TCP and UDP IN , Source: ANY, Destination: ANY, Source Port : ANY, Destination Port: A SINGLE PORT , type the port number(the one your Torrent uses).

When you launch the program, use "treat as Torrent" and your rules policy will be used.

Something similar must be for Limewire, i have never used it.

For the rest, your security firewall-wise can't be improved, once the port is open. However, D+ comes into play there, since it will protect you from any new rogue executable trying to run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.