Comodo Firewall, D+ verses other HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ssj100, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Actions vs words. If memory serves me, once upon a time, Melih was always saying that they aren't interested in making money from Comodo, because they make plenty of income from selling certificates to corporate clients. Then somehow, Comodo got bundled with the Ask toolbar and the "remote cleaning" thing.

And despite what Melih says, amongst fans, it's Comodo vs OA alright.

2. sded

sded Registered Member

I don't know how to say things more positively about Comodo Firewall/D+ than I have in the past few posts. The intrusions and logging are just examples of some things that should have been fixed a long time ago, and perhaps now get different comments than when the problem was new and a fix was expected. The failure of the Bugzilla initiative kind of dashed that, and the same repeated issues were never solved. I guess I am disappointed that Comodo has not evolved like I hoped they would in that direction, but that is their business decision If you think it is a disservice to someone to point out long standing issues to avoid when they use a product, I disagree,
    Maybe I just don't know OA well enough to have lost hope that they will fix some of the issues-I have demonstrations that they actually fix my problems and let me beta test them. Or Prevx Edge and Avast!, who are also extremely responsive to their users.
    But enough of this, everyone enjoy whatever they think is best for them . :) And Comodo is still a very good firewall and HIPS.

3. Fuzzfas

I am sure that from this thread an on, you will find how.

I don't doubt it. As i said, what impressed me, was : "Was there ONCE, just ONCE, after you left Comodo that you came here to say something positive?". I looked at your posts and all i find lately, is posting Comodos' things that should be fixed. Coincidence? Maybe, but i had to point it out.

Ah, i can believe that.

Informing isn't a disservice per se. But the motivation and wether he uses the same attitude towards others is also an issue. I mean, informing is one thing. The "Gee the OP and many here are Comodo users" thing, excuse me, but indicates a certain psychological reaction against Comodo, which nothing has to do with a objectiveness. From an ex mod i would actually expect a certain remaining "fondness" for Comodo or its users. But i guess, you left it for some reasons that brought you to feel not so comfortable about it.

You don't know OA well enough? Come on, you have access to beta forum, you see all the bugfixes, you can read your forum! I don't have access to the beta forum but even reading the main forum i know about problems! Don't they have long outstanding issues too? Do they also make the development in the direction everyone wishes? Doesn't Comodo also fixed many user isssues? This is where i start to wonder...

Good for them... I guess Comodo isn't.

Ah, we agree!

4. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

To get back on track, I think D+ is very good in what it does. However, there is more of a learning curve to Comodo's product in comparison to say OA's hips. Someone mentioned PROACTIVE security should be set on by default when installing. I think that is what Comodo is aiming for with less popups than the competitors and have maximum security. When Comodo expands its whitelist, the popups will be less frequent. I do agree with sded on one point, the logging should be better or more informative. OA's hips logging is easier to read and understand.

Ice

5. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

To be honest, what does OA offers (or any of those hips) that Comodo don't?
    Why not save a dime? o_O

As for userfriendliness, thats a personal thing. I've tested OA free (not the paid) and Comodo free and a bunch of stuff and personally I like comodo more.
    OA does a great job, and most hips do and will protect you well, but I don't see the point in paying for any product as Comodo does the job as well (and in most cases better). Also CIS the new beta is using lot less memory than OA, its using less than a single AV while being a hips, firewall, antivirus, bufferoverflow protection..

Its somewhat pointless in paying for something that don't preform any better and don't offer any more protection than a free product such as comodo. :doubt:

sure OA offers a free version too, but there is no need to argue about it being in the same class as comodo, its not. :cautious: :cautious:

6. Fuzzfas

Hohoho! You asked for it! You get it! Grab the popcorn now! :D

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i dont know why but i am not lucky with any firewall,the only one it's in my signiture(MD)
    note:i am still waiting for DefenseWall Out Bound Protection to be very happy:)

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Ahh this is fun (fass)

Comodo earns money out of trust certificates http://google.com/trends?q=Geotrust, Comodo, Versign&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=1

Being at the server at the figured why not get to the client side as well?

Comodo company is only looking at the big ones, they are target, OA is far to small, does not have enough users to be a target. The only darned thing OA did was to create an FW which was as good as Comodo (when Matousec is the measure), has a smaller protection scope, but is user firendlier.

OA is a nuisance to Comodo because it takes away a marketing claim (Comodo the only free user friendly firewall). This war is fought by Comodo fans and OA fans, not by Comodo and OA

I hope that CIS 3.8 or 3.9, really gets some decent reviews on AV-comparative, because then Comodo can claim "the first free integrated suite with a top notch protection". They will have their scoop and the NIS and KIS versus CIS discussion will be spiced up.

Cheers

9. Fuzzfas

Ok, the temptation is too strong. Let the bodies hit the floor! :D

Agreed! I remember the first time i used Comodo 3 (i have never used v.2 so it was all new to me), i didn't have a clue of which was what. Unless you read aaaall the help file, you can't use it effectively.

Yes. Unfortunately, you can't have everyone happy. I use proactive, so i choose it on installation. Others were bitching about proactive, so now the "optimal" is "reccommended" in the installation. Go figure...

Neither log is perfect. But, i must say, if one complains about Comodo's log for being "incomplete", OA's is not user friendly at all (it's a text file that you must browse to the program folder), has no size limit the last time i checked the free version, so it can grow and grow and grow and if you use internet intensive apps, it sucks your CPU cycles (which OA already sucks much more than Comodo).

I suppose you compare the free versions, because otherwise of course, you must pay. Well, OA Free, does give more user friendliness in general (you have to read less things at start and the firewall auto-decides for you, although some like me don't like that), has the "run safer" option, which is very useful, has the country flags which is a nice eye-candy. Well, these are those that have caught my eye, some may also have noted more. Overall, though, i agree that between free versions, for my taste Comodo gives more (the file access in particular and registry protection). And i 've never had conflict or BSOD with Comodo.

Yes, at the end it's personal taste. But, for a non expert user, at least in the firewall part, you can't argue that's OA is easier, because it auto-opens ports.

The paid OA has some particular features (more granular firewall control, Web shield, mail shield, banking mode...) that for some people are really useful.

For MY use, i agree with you, that Comodo is enough for me. I also hate online activations. Also for my taste, i don't care about RAM (i have 2GB and i could make them 2.7 GB if i wanted, i have 2 spare GB modules that i don't use), but i do care about CPU Time. And that's where Comodo even under heavy p2p is a champ. The more the CPU is occupied, the less responsive a system becomes. And if you do video encoding, then every last drop of CPU power is precious to avoid excessive lags.

It's not about performance only, but features too and personal taste. Someone may find Comodo too confusing. Or simply not like it. Or simply want the features of OA paid. So he prefers to pay...

IMHO, OA free can give you a very safe solution too. Maybe doesn't cover all the areas Comodo does, but some maybe covered better (better pop ups in some cases for example). And in any case, the POCs are overhyped. Most ordinary malware out there isn't as half as sophisticated as people think by looking at leak tests. OA free is more than enough. You must be very unlucky to find the "silver bullet" that will pass through.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  10. Fuzzfas

Kees, in another thread you called me Fuzzfass. Now i see "Fass". I will start worrying that you accuse me of being an ass. :D

In deed, why not! I just remembered what Melih saying about not being interested in getting the client side.

All this is true, but oddly enough, OA did catch Melih's interest. Do you remember?

http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1991

This is when the fans war began.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i noticed in your signiture alot of apps are they running in the same pc?or you have more pc's?

12. Fuzzfas

No, on the same PC. They are very light really, CPU-wise. All these that you see, under p2p, eat less CPU time than OA alone. That's why i don't use OA free.

This is after about 4 hours of use (surfing mostly, no p2p this time):

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7199/68812889dp9.png

Twister and Winpatrol are the heaviest...

I use the old PC Tools version, because as better rule creation (1 step less), doesn't have the "enhanced security" and runs lighter than the already light new version.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ah ok sounds good:thumb:

14. Kees1958

I won't do that: promised

I was totally unaware of that, fun reading though

15. Fuzzfas

Don't worry, i was kidding. :D

Ah, Scott's blog had sparked an all over war at that time. The 2 party fans were entrenched behind their respective leaders. That link contains only a small part of the dispute. I was with Mike Nash then and i still think he was right and unjustly slandered.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm... I can guess one day Comodo will not be free any more( not that I am complaining).

17. Fuzzfas

Well, theoretically, he wants to compete with Norton and McAfee, while remaining free.

Anyway, even if he decides to make it payware one day, let's enjoy it, while it's still free.

18. Kees1958

Aigle, why do you have DefenseWall in your Avitar also?

19. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

FuzzFas all you really mentioned as a legitime reason was that OA has the Phising filter for emails. Comodo blocks driveby downloads as good if not better than that Web Shield. Iam not sure what the "Banking Mode" does really, But I would really like to know.

OA lacks BufferOverFlow protection as far as I know, making OA users easy targets to BO attacks.

OA losses in speed tests. OA adds stuff that every guy know is not needed, only to sell, like "camlogger protection", "hey we protect against this" instead of focusibg on real threats.

And aigle thats just rumors form you, keep it to facts or at least experiences. Melih has stated several times that he want CIS to be free.

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Because I just love sandboxes....
    Was making an avatar just of sandboxes but could not find a good fourth one. SafeSpace is dead or otherwise you would have seen that in place of Comodo.

21. Fuzzfas

Well, i have never tried the OA Full (not even the trial version, since, having online activation, i know i won't buy it, so why try it...), so i can't explain you in detail the features of OA paid. But some OA paid user might be able. The "banking mode" is supposed to give enhanced security when you do online banking. Some kind of total lockdown for the browser i guess. These are the features:

http://www.tallemu.com/comparisons.html

See, i forgot the enhanced anti-keylogging ability.

I don't know about that...

What kind of speed tests? o_O Some people actually use the OA pro features. And the problem is, just because Melih decided to offer his firewall for free, not everyone can do the same. I mean, yes, OA wants to sell the paid version... And some people want it.

22. sded

sded Registered Member

You know, I had never heard of Online Armor or Scot's Blog until Melih dissed them. Made me think I needed to learn more about them. Probably the beginning of the decline of my career as a moderator when I sent him a PM telling him to stop acting like a mad dog. ;)

23. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

ahh, well the anti-keylogging ability is pretty much the same.

But as you say some like apples other prefer oranges. Those who like OA should use it, Its a good product, no question about it, it gets the job done, and its not expensive! Both OA and COMODO does a great job and they both are a overkill to most malwares, trojans and such. :ninja:

Its really good that OA gives comodo a run for the cake too.. And offers a free version, I wish OA the best of luck, and I can see that the paying model is different and how OA coders need money to survive too.

The speed thing was something I shouldn't have said, as no real heavy testing has been made. I was mostly referring to Kees1958 comparison here at wilders https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=232532 but I see nothing posted about OA. Iam sorry, I made an assumption that CIS is the one using least memory. But of course memory and speed isn't the same. I should not have used the word speed at all.

But really, both OA and comodo is so good, I feel safe with both. :blink: sure they have their differences, but they both protect very well.

But I use comodo as I think its the simplest to get my tasks done.
    But ofc its not the simplest/best for everyone, you sould chose by personal preference as they are a bit different but offers pretty much the same protection, thats what I think.

24. Fuzzfas

Well i don't blame you. It was a blog too for God' sake! (you have never heard of OA, i have never heard of Scott's blog before that!LOL!).

I like Comodo and am happy to have it for free when i please and i have only "known" Melih through his action against Nash and successively from his writings. Maybe he is a good guy, but he is way too sensasionalistic for my taste, often pompous.

I mean, probably his blog is the only security application blog, where you can read about 9/11 and terrorism, all together related to approach to PC security. :D

I mean, people should read it. He uses so colourful expressions, i often find it hilarious!

http://www.melih.com/

One of my fav:

"Somebody asked me once: Hey Melih, how many percent of the viruses do your Anti Virus product detect?

My answer was: 100% of the ones we know of! If we have the malware then we simply create a signature for it and update our db!"

:argh: :thumb:

25. 3xist

3xist Guest

And your point is? Yes I am a Senior High School Student, so what? Why criticize me? I put alot of effort into those forums and help the best way I can, and now your turning this discussing into a personal one!

You use to do a good job helping the users that use Comodo, and were well spoken. So since you just identified me, I can now see you are bashing Comodo and pulling up past things to help back up your wild statements - Would you mentioned all these negative things about Comodo when you were moderating? No. Why not move on and stop bashing Comodo and mentioning my self which I find offensive.

Cheers,
    Josh

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.