Comodo Firewall and WSA

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by kjdemuth, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I recently installed WSA as a trial. Everything was going well and I was enjoying the green circle in my tray. I was on firefox and looking at some site's. Next thing firefox froze up. I could move the cursor around but couldn't click on anything. I couldn't pull up task manager either. I eventually had to do a hard reset and press the off button. I added WRSA.exe to D+ exception list and also added WRSA.exe to the Firefox sandbox folder under start and internet restrictions.
    For some reason it still locked up on me. Not really sure where there is a conflict. Question is has anyone else had any conflicts with WSA, comodo and sandboxie?

2. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Many people are having problems with Firefox locking up on computers that have no WSA on them at all (like one of my work VMs). It seems to be more of a Firefox issue than WSA or anything else specifically. Many people haven't had problems, but to check, try temporarily shutting down WSA and leaving everything else up. (Surf SAFELY during that time)

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I've experienced this myself on a VM without WSA so I suspect it might just be Firefox as Techfox1976 referenced. Let me know your results with WSA uninstalled or shut down!

4. kjdemuth

No It's only with WSA. I have comodo and sandboxie installed and only use firefox. I only started to get the lock ups when I installed and starting running WSA. I'm not really sure why it locks up.

5. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Can you get it to lock up when WSA is shut down?

6. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Looking at your signature, if you are using all of that you already have excellent security. Are you sure that adding WSA to your existing set-up isn't an overkill? The benefit in terms of increased protection is marginal as there is a considerable overlap with what you already have, and you are already running into problems. Whilst WSA has been designed to be as compatible as possible with other programs, the more security applications you run, the greater the risk of a conflict.

If, as your signature suggests, you are running Emsisoft Anti-malware 6 in real-time, you could try temporarily uninstalling that and see if that makes a difference with just WSA running as the only real-time AV. As you are using Sandboxie for web browsing, another thing you could try is disabling the WSA Identity Shield and see if that makes any difference.

Kind regards

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  7. PrevxHelp

That's a good idea for a test, and it's possible that if Comodo is trying to filter something coming from the browser, that it could interfere there as well. It would be worth trying to see exactly what component of either WSA/Comodo/others are causing the problem.

8. kjdemuth

No pegr. I uninstalled Emsisoft. I also uninstalled WSA. I figured that I could just use another AV. Even though I do like the lightness of WSA. I'll give kingsoft or panda a try. Either that or I'll go back to EAM. Thanks for the suggestions though.

9. kjdemuth

I honestly can't imagine I'm the only one that had a problem with this combo. Maybe I was the only one that tried this combo before?

10. Esse

Esse Registered Member

+1 You are not alone.
    I posted in this thread before: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=335698
    I am running CIS 5.12 latest version and WSA also now latest version, WSA does not let the cfp.exe start even if i set it as trusted in WSA.
    I have to close WSA and start Comodo and then restart WSA, then it works.

/E

11. kjdemuth

Wow. That's kind of annoying. It's too bad really. I like the combo a lot. Esse did you just post it here or over at webroot too?

12. Esse

Esse Registered Member

No, only here. Joe is usually on his toes in here :)
    I am just testing WSA and I do not have time to visit more forums.
    Lets hope Joe and his team takes a look at this issue.

/E

13. kjdemuth

Just a quick update. I uninstalled Comodo Firewall. I then installed WSA and ran it with sandboxie. I still got the same hanging and freezing with WSA and sandboxie. I had added WSA to sandboxie to allow it to run. I still had the same issues.

14. PrevxHelp

Adding WSA into a sandbox is likely to cause problems. Can you try disabling the Identity Shield for the browsers you have sandboxed? That should hopefully fix it in the meantime while we investigate further.

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I was having a similar problem with online armor and sandboxie and i eventually discovered it was the software compatibility assistant in sandboxie was causing an issue.i just ticked the online armor and hey presto the problem was solved.

16. kjdemuth

I re-installed WSA with Comodo Firewall and Sandboxie. I turned off the Indentity Shield completely. It still locked up when running Firefox. I didn't try it with another browser. I wouldn't think that it would be isolated to Firefox.
    I can remember that there was a problem with Prevx SafeOnline and sandboxie not working together. This might be the same problem. Other than that I'll try and help to resolve this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.