Comodo dragon 27.2 released with privdog

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wasgij6, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

Privdog is the new reinvented privalert that was previously released.

More info can be found on the comodo forums and the privdog website
    http://forums.comodo.com/privdog-b303.0/
    http://www.privdog.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
  2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Nice addition to dragon.
    Runs with other browsers too which is nice.

I dont think i will use this as i run ABP and do not track me.

nice addon though.
    Thanks.:thumb:

3. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

Dragon update has been suspended temporarily

4. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

The above was posted on MalwareTips earlier.

5. Fingol

Fingol Registered Member

I was just wondering what the heck PrivDog was. I didn't remember installing it.
    I can get rid now I know I didn't want it.

6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

So Comodo Privdog is a "blocks third party ad network communications except those third party ad network communications with our own AdTrustMedia servers because we want to hijack ad space to show our own ads" tool? Installed and enabled by default in Comodo Dragon?

I noticed that the privacy policy mentions delivering ads based on geolocation data and it also mentioned overlaying search results advertisements. It would be good if non-Comodo-related people (who are willing to try it on their system) took a very close look at the traffic to determine precisely what is phoned home both for purposes of ad display and also click throughs. Including on a machine with WiFi, just in case that GeoLocation data is acquired by AP sniffing.

I also noticed that the FAQ mentioned *not* blocking ads that come from the same domain as the site you are visiting. Details on that should also be investigated given that numerous sites assign third party servers a machine name within the site's own domain name. There is also the potential for scripts from the very host you are visiting to be part of a tracking system including one that involves sharing info with third parties. Even content from the very site/host you are visiting can't (shouldn't) be considered inherently trustworthy especially from a privacy POV.

Perhaps this isn't as bad as it could be, but it is concerning that here we seem to have yet another case of a security/privacy tool vendor creating a conflict of interest and trying to make money off of targeted advertising.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.