Comodo DACS (Distributed and Collaborative Scanning)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Can I scan my whole computer with virus total?

2. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

such solutions and and software exist for years ...

even before VirusTotal and Jotti ...

so good job on reinventing the wheel and then trying abuse end users to shave Your hands clean :) (no licence fees)

in the end some companies will drop any output (commandline and logs or shader memory/API and so on from theirs products)

EULAs and license will adjust if needed

some lawsuits gunna happen

then some botnet come and floods this 'system' with false positives or fakes or classify infested files as clean

in short been there, seen that, tried that and failed long time before this was announced ...

o_O

3. guest

guest Guest

So are you telling me that the AV companies will hire hackers to destroy DACS? xD jajajaja and you will be happy about this and not about get a best detection for free... :blink:

I already heard this story, "Comodo it's very bad because provides the users with excellent protection and detection tools for free." xD

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You mean that you'll use DACS to scan your whole pc?
    You do understand that potentially you could upload personal photos and documents on other people computers, right?

Panagiotis

5. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

you dont understood the proof of concept which is always metioned for any 'user driven/feedback driven system'

imagine your user base is x
    now let say you verify the scans by 3% of x
    now if you system is infested by let say 10% of x
    as zombies then there is quite high chance it will fool the results

this is problem of any community and user decision driven network for decade

6. guest

guest Guest

Of course you didnt understand how it works. Is up to you send the files or not.
    Seems that you wake up today, nowadays any AV send automatically unknown files to their server starting with Norton.

7. guest

guest Guest

Stop making up thigns, and take a look to the software, and re-read the last quotes of the first post.

8. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

No, they don't. At least not on my pcs.
    And by the way, one thing is to upload a file to a security company and another is to upload it to 400 different volunters. :rolleyes:

Panagiotis

9. guest

guest Guest

Nobody is forcing you to do it, and probably you can check which files to sent.

Merry Christmas!

10. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

The funny thing is, it's probably not Comodo that is legally or ethically on shaky ground, if not now, in the future. It's the 80 'volunteers' that are making available their AV scanners for upload and scanning of files from anonymous users.

I wonder how many, let's say, Norton users decide to not renew their licenses and replace it with DACS (why buy when I can get better for free?), yet still benefit from scanning by the Norton engine for unknown files. That could be a lot of lost revenue for every AV company, and they didn't even lose it fair and square to a competitor with a better product. Ethically, this scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

11. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

You can see details of DACS detection in CCE's process explorer. But it keeps Analysing for me ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  12. guest

guest Guest

Read here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1802261&postcount=20 including the quote

About KillSwitch

13. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

This issue will be fun to watch during 2011. Once more Melih will offer the excitement that the forum needs from time to time. :argh:

I don't expect that AV vendors will sit with their arms crossed watching their products being exploited by DACS.

Anyway, personally i don't intend to send my files to nobody to scan them for me. :D

14. guest

guest Guest

This is what they say:

1st post updated with more quotes.

15. Fuzzfas

Melih may trust his volunteers. I don't. :D As i said though, it's always fun seeing Melih's new ideas.

16. guest

guest Guest

Yes of course their volunteers are bad, they are doing this to poison the results because they dont have nothing better to do xD, on the other hand norton automatically upload files to their server and dont collect any statistical information about your files, they are the best :D

17. Scoobs72

You're going round in circles guest and continually missing the key points.

1. A user can choose to replace their Norton/AVAST/ESET etc AV with Comodo CIS + DACS on the basis that DACS will provide access to the Norton engine (+many more) anyway. Result: fewer Norton/AVAST etc licenses sold.

2. Intentional or not, the majority of DACS users are also likely to be CIS users. This will bump up the overall 'detection' capabilities of Comodo products without ever having to have done it the hard way - R&D, $$$$. Ethically this is questionable imo

3. Following on from 1, the more users that switch to CIS and the subsequent drop in income for the other AV companies having their engines used by DACS, the worse the detection rates for the other AVs are likely to become (less $$$ income = less R&D = poorer products). In the long run, overall industry detection falls and more malware starts infecting users PCs. How is that good for users?

18. Fuzzfas

I don't know if volunteers are good or bad, i don't care. I simply won't send my files to the first unknown volunteer (social engineering comes to mind). My Avast doesn't upload automatically nothing and i am not part of their threat community either. And unlike "volunteers", they are professionals, doing that for a living and for a reputation. I don't even trust Melih, why should i trust his "trusty" volunteers with my files? What's a trusty volunteer anyway? A long time Comodo Forum member that is enthusiastic and helpful over time? I could be one them (with other nickname) and you wouldn't even know it even if you were a moderator there.

As you said, nobody is forcing me or anyone else to partecipate. And since i have the choice, in deed i won't. That's all. You can partecipate, it's your choice and right.

19. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Although this seems like a good idea I want to know how this fits into each of the vendors EULA.

20. Scoobs72

It appears that the EULAs don't cover this at the moment. Comodo has taken to read that as "it's allowed". But there's a difference between 'expressly allowed' and 'not excluded by the current EULA'.

21. guest

guest Guest

Why would I want to replace Norton with CIS?
    DACS is an on demand scanner I dont want to run a 1h scan each time some new files are in my computer to check if they are clean according to Norton or not.
    If you replace Norton with CIS is because you think that CIS is better.
    Have I to remember you that DACS includes CAV, CAMAS, and COmodo cloud? So if I have DACS I already have all the detection capabilities that Comodo has, so the common sense tell me that I can use any AV that I think that protects me better. So all you points doesn't make any sense.

Sorry I dindt know that you were a sociologist, please pm the the study that you have made to get this kind of conclusions.

And this is what Melih says

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
  22. Fuzzfas

And the best part of it: EULA is a private contract written unilaterally by the vendor. So the vendor can update it at this pleasure with new clauses whenever he likes.

To add to Scoobs72 line of thought... Let's say that DACS initially passes un-noticed, because the userbase is still low. What if each minor security program vendor that has a mediocre detection starts putting out his own version of "DACS" to boost the final detection of his own product? Do you really think that the "top vendors" will allow the market to flood with products that exploit their engines? I don't know how they will do it, but i think they will stop it as soon as they have the suspicion that they lose real $.

One simple thing besides the EULA that a vendor could do, would be to refuse installation on PC with DACS installed or shut down if the user later installs DACS. Just put it on the EULA. PC Game companies have done much worse, like Ubisoft refusing to let you play without internet activation.

2011 will be interesting year. Unless of course DACS doesn't attract many users (maybe the paranoid people that don't like sending their files to unknown persons are more than one would expect) and it won't even bother the AV companies.

23. Scoobs72

No. You still don't get it. You ignore the points that you can't answer and then respond with silly answers to the ones you think you can, e.g. "Why would I want to replace Norton with CIS". The answer is in your wallet.

Hopefully an official spokesperson from Comodo will turn up to answer questions properly, rather than fanboy.

24. guest

guest Guest

Read my post again including the quotes.

If you are expecting a serious answer make a serious question, dont start to make up things in your mind and adding a ? at the end.

First you have to understand the difference btw real time protection and a on-demand scanner detections.
    You can be infected using DACS but an AV like Norton will avoid it.

25. Scoobs72

Impossible to do that when you are continually editing your posts to add/remove information. Start answering some of the outstanding points raised by myself and others first before demanding of others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.