Comodo-Best balance between ease of use and effectiveness?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by drhu22, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Long title says most i think...ill watch for replies.
    Im looking for the best silent to bullet proof ratio i can find.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Check out my sig. If you want to make it a little quieter put the firewall on "Safe mode" and add "create rules for safe applications."

While this may open you up slightly it is still very effective.

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I agree with the recommendation by Hungry Man to run the firewall in Safe Mode but for a user for whom ease-of-use is important, enabling "create rules for safe applications" is unnecessary IMO. It's okay to leave this option disabled as enabling it doesn't in and of itself increase effectiveness AFAIK. The option is there for advanced users who may want to edit the rules created.

The CIS help file explains it this way: -
    I would also recommend running Defense+ in Safe Mode. Thanks to the extensive whitelisting in v5, the days of Defense+ generating too many alerts seem to be over. My experience has been that the few alerts that do occur are mostly when installing new software, and the alerts are easy to understand and to respond to. If the software installer is a trusted application from a known trusted source, there is always the option to temporarily disable Defense+ during the install.

As to whether or not to enable the Sandbox, I think this is a matter of personal preference. I've disabled the Sandbox as I prefer to let CIS Execution Control alert whenever an unknown executable tries to run, with the option to deny, rather than let it run automatically in the CIS sandbox. For virtualization/sandboxing, I use Shadow Defender and Sandboxie anyway, so for me the CIS Sandbox is redundant.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  4. Hungry Man

I must have been confused. Thank you pegr.

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Hungry Man,

Nice to hear from you. Hope you are well and enjoying the weekend. :)

Regards

6. Hungry Man

Same to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.