Comodo Anti-virus Software.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Badcompany, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hello Forum,
    I know about Comodo FW but has anyone tried there AV program.How good is it.
    Badcompany.

2. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I've been told it's far from being good enough to actually use full time. I don't know if it's good enough for backup or not. But it's so young, it probably doesn't have THAT many sigs yet.

3. Badcompany

Hi Kdm,
    How do you rate there firewall.

4. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

I don't like the AV at all. It locked up my computer at startup. The frewall is ok though.

5. kdm31091

The firewall is great. I use it myself.

It's pretty light and supposedly passes all leak tests. It's a good firewall.

The AV I would avoid [for now].

6. justin1278

justin1278 Registered Member

Please remember that the antivirus is still currently a beta, Comodo Antivirus 2.0 will be released later this month (I believe the 17th but am not positive).

7. Badcompany

Hello Boy's,
    Thanks for your input,I have been reading that alot of people put Comodo firewall on par with Outpost, and some think it's even better.I think we have good things to come from this company, and best of all, it's free for life.
    Badcompany.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well for now i recommend using some other antivirus until Comodo Antivirus 2.x is released. Though even at that point i'd wait for AV-Comparatives test to confirm the improvement. Latest unofficial test was around low 30% so any serious improvement should be easily noticeable (if any).

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

30% :ouch: Are they going to be in the AV-Comparitives test?

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It was nothing official back then. IBK just made a test and later asked Comodo guys if he can publish them. It was around 30% if i remember correctly. Could be more. Search this subforum, it was posted here.

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Will do. Thanks. ;)

12. kdm31091

The last virus.gr had Comodo being about equal to Clamwin, i.e. 50% or so. Not good enough for now.

13. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I wonder what engine they use or is it their own? Antivirus is important still even though other baddies (trojans, hook kits, etc.) are increasing while viruses (virii) seem to be dwindling. I think I would wait until Comodo gets better established in the bug squashing business before I entrust my puter to their protection.

SourMilk out

14. Melih-Comodo

Melih-Comodo Former Poster

In the security architecture we are building we are concentrating on 3 areas

1)prevention
    2)detection
    3)cure

So in an AV product Prevention means, HIPS capability. We will be (I think) the first AV vendor to put HIPS capability with CAVS v2. This will, accompanied with ever growing safelist, will prevent a large majority of known and, more importantly, unknown malware from executing. And from my point of view this is a key in an application that is trying to protect the user from malware. The current techniques used are, in majority, trying to catch known malware. In this day and age, where a malware can be recyled by simply re-packing/encrypting with one of many packers will cause it to go undetected. So Comodo is spending its resources in building this innovative HIPS enabled AV which will be ver 2 of CAVS.

for detection, we are continually making improvements and its just matter of time. We are building all the unpackers to make sure to increase our detection.

thanks
    Melih

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.