Comodo 3.0.16.295 is out.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Fuzzfas, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Version 3.0.16.295
    NEW! Anti-Leak Configuration:
    - A new default configuration is introduced to make D+ show fewer number of popup alerts while still remaning leak proof.
    NEW! On-Demand Virus Scanning:
    - CFP now provides an option to scan for viruses during the installation and from its graphical user interface
    NEW! A-VSMART Warranty Program:
    - CFP now provides the users an option to enroll one of the available A-VSMART Warranty programs
    IMPROVED! Self-Defense:
    - There has been various reports that CFP 3.0 is attacked by some malware to disable its protection.
    The self defense has been modified such that an ungraceful termination of CFP will block every unknown action (i.e. it will function as if "Block all unknown actions if the application is closed" option is selected. This option was not enabled by default).
    IMPROVED! Default Configuration:
    - Default configuration now protects more registry keys and more COM interfaces.
    - Default Web Browser and FTP Client policies are modified to support passive FTP requests
    IMPROVED! Handling of known code executing applications:
    - Defense+ has been modified such that some known code executing programs such as rundll32.exe or windows scripting host are not autimatically trusted anymore.
    IMPROVED! Pending Files:
    - Defense+ has been modified such that it is not going to report any pending files if it is not in clean PC mode.
    FIXED! Bugs in Defense+ Engine:
    - Fixed numerous bugs that could stop Defense+ to properly handle the suspicious actions(e.g.bugs in registry and file protection, key logging etc).
    - Fixed the bug that could prevent CFP from functioning properly in certain types of hardware configurations(e.g. when a USB harddisk is present etc.).
    FIXED! Minor Bugs in the Graphical User Interface

The download link doesn't appear yet in the site, but you can find it here:

<<<<<<direct download link removed>>>>>>>>>

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  2. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Thank you Fuzfas,

The internal update also is able to detect the new update. I am installing via the internal mechanism to see if it is working ok on my end...

3. Fuzzfas

Yeah, i saw on Comodo forum that people were using the internal update, but i always do clean installs, so i searched for the setup file. At Comodo's site, the download link showed only the old version as available, but i changed the version number manually with the new one and voilà, the new version setup was ready for download.

I will wait for the guinea p... err... i mean for other users to test it first. :D I will then install it tomorrow cleanly.

4. Hermescomputers

Oink! :)

Just finished the update... took 2 reboots...
    Nothing negative to report.

I'm loving the new malware scan:

Attached Files:

5. Fuzzfas

Interesting. Although i am more curious to see what exactly has changed in pending files management.

BTW, in Comodo forums, they say the current AV engine isn't great (although fast), but this is only the first step of development. In the future releases they will be working more on the AV engine. Melih also stated that it's in their goals to make the fastest scanning engine in the market. Sounds interesting. Specially if it remains free. :argh:

6. Hermescomputers

yes.. the "Pending Files" is really pending isn't it... mine currently has 7972 files pending... :doubt:

Good news about the engine though... I wonder if this is the same engine as in their AV or if this is a new design specific to the firewall?

7. Fuzzfas

If you let the pending files rise so high, it beats the purpose of having them. How are you supposed to inspect 8000 files? I have 12 right now, but had cleaned them earlier this day and haven't installed anything new yet. I try to "forget about them" for the time being. From the change log, it would appear that if you set D+ in any other mode except "Clean PC", you won't have pending files? o_O I will test that tomorrow.

Melih said that the current AV engine isn't very functional yet, as it is the first phase of the introduction of their new version 3 antivirus engine in the firewall. So i think they use the engine they have been developing for the CAVS 3.

8. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, clicking Scan computer does exactly nothing. Also how it updates the signatures?

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Well, at least they have a business plan.

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Isn't it a bit expensive $79 for two malware removal?:blink: :blink:
    Most AV/AS companies include malware support/help in their annual subscription and they do cost less.

Cheers,
    Fax

12. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Scan works fine for me. Running as we speak.

13. Coolio10

No, it means the two services.

A-VSMART Warranty and A-VSMART Warranty PLUS Expert Installation.

14. Coolio10

Users reported it only works in XP.

It updates on bootup like norton liveupdate.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Nope.... with A-VSMART Warranty PLUS Expert Installation you get to $119 :eek:

Fax

16. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

It is supposed to have leak protection option when you select the Firewall only. I have downloaded 3.0.16.295 and on setup selected just the firewall with leak protection. After installation I was getting Defense+ pop ups. When I checked the the proactive defense it was set to Train with Safe Mode. When I move the slide to [Disabled] the Defense+ pop ups stopped. Do I have leak protection now?

17. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

18. WilliamP

I asked my question on the Comodo forum and can't get an answer. How can I get the Firewall only with leak protection?

19. Coolio10

It is already on. A few defence+ settings were disabled to reduce popups.

20. WilliamP

Thank you Coolio10. I will give it a try.

21. Hermescomputers

Ouch... these guys wanna put me outa of business! :D

I am a big fan of accountability for security products as I personally happen to think it is sorely lacking in the industry at large... (Read my chats with Solcroft a few days ago.) However once they realize how many idiots are going to call 3-4 time a week just for kicks, they may have to re think their pricing strategies or they will have to employ and "exploit" a lot of techies from the third world to deliver services at this price...

Considering the numbers and types of software related problems they will have to diagnose and solve for free it is going to be rather interesting to watch.

I wouldn't last a month with that offer! couldn't finance it long enough to make it lucrative... Imagine paying qualified systems engineers with a specialty in security to service thousands a problems a day... sustained? Considering the popularity of Comodo's firewall...

Also think about having hundreds of people working to rummage through every users systems... The liabilities and the risks involved are enormous for an outfit like Comodo... I wish them luck! :)

I would be very surprised if this strategy doesn't change very soon! But I must say this... It is an incredible offer to the consumers at large! :thumb:

I certainly hope they will be able to deliver it effectively and to make this business model work for a long time as it would certainly help a lot of users with a lot of computer security troubles who currently cant help themselves as it's too expensive for them to get professional assistance... Way to go Comodo!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

All of the sudden, Comodo freeware is associated with $$$$$$ ?

Well-planned business plan or .....

Waiting to see its true COLOUR.

Other than that, a solid program and people love it just as a freeware.

Take care.

23. WilliamP

I wonder why Comodo recommends not installing Comodo firewall with SSM? I would like to report that I have CFP 3.0.16.295 Firewall only [with leak protection]. I also have SSM Pro. and NOD 32 with no problems on two computers. On one I also have Threatfire.

24. Carver

Carver Registered Member

When the Comodo 3.0.16.295 firewall was released I was reading the Comodo firewall forum checking on when they were going to release it and I was also occasionally clicking update on the firewall. At first when the firewall started to update I was so happy, then about half way I got a error 108 I think it was. The servers must be swamped, so I tried 15 mins later. This time it downloaded 100%, I was jumping for joy at this point. The firewall started to install, BOClean poped up. A few days ago BOClean exited and wouldn't restart, the popup said that BOC425.XYZ was corrupt. I ended up deleting BOClean cleaning the registry and reinstalling BOClean. Then I put cfp.exe on the excluder list. Then I start looking on the Comodo forum to see if anyone else had the same problem, the post said to put one other file on the list...CMD Agent. Getting back to installing the Comodo 3.0.16.295 firewall, the popup recomended I scan the computer with my AV. Well this took over 3 times as long as a regular scan don't know why. I really didn't expect to find anything (because I take great pains to keep the crap out) and I didn't find anything, and nether did the new firewall scan. It is running very quietly no popups unlike 3.0.15.277 which spewed pending files like there was tomorrow.

25. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

During the install when firewall reported that is installed my pc frooze ,and i had to reboot.I started in safe mode ,continued the installation,reboot after.then i uninnstalled and reinstalled again without beeing connected and now everything is ok:rolleyes: .It was not a good start for me ,but i like how the product is working ,it is surprisingly light on my old pc,vista with 1 Gib Ram ,and i'll renounce for now at my av protection,cos this looks very strong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.