Command parameters to directly run Tasks?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tuttle, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Does ATI have any command parameters (or switches) to use for shortcut or command access directly to a particular Task?

I'm setting up ATI for a friend's laptop. He travels, and it's never certain he'll have the laptop on at any given time or day, so scheduled tasks aren't really a good solution. Using "Management Tools" I created two Tasks, each to be launched manually:
    one to create a Full Backup;
    one to create Incremental Backup.

The simpler I can make it for him, the more likely he is to do it. At the moment I have to tell him to do this for a full backup:

launch Acronis True Image
    click Management Tools
    click Manage Tasks
    select Full Backup
    click Start Task

If ATI had parameters allowing targeting of individual Tasks, I could create one Windows shortcut to the full backup Task, and another shortcut to the incremental backup Task. Does ATI have such parameters?

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

tuttle:

You can create a batch file to manually start a TI task. Refer to post #3 of this thread for the syntax needed. Basically it is:
    Code:
    <path to TI service> /script:<path to script file>
    where the paths depend on which version of TI is being used and whether the OS is XP or Vista. Note the space preceding the "/script:" argument. Create a desktop shortcut to the batch file and your friend is in business.

3. tuttle

tuttle Guest

I will try that. Thanks!

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

5. tuttle

tuttle Guest

I was aware that was possible, but it's not convenient in this case. The laptop travels, and so it won't always have the backup external drive with it. Even if it did, the user may not want to be slowed down by an automated backup when he boots the laptop to do some work. For this situation, manually launching the backup Tasks is more suitable than using scheduling.

It would be helpful if Acronis would add command line functionality, or switches, to ATI to enable us to shortcut to directly launch individual Tasks, as some tools like Norton allow. The batch file setup mentioned by Mark/k0lo is at least a way to accomplish it for now, but that's not something an ordinary user would feel comfortable doing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2008
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tuttle,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Thank you for the clarification.

If you want us to change the behavior of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in the Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you made a batch file, you could create a shortcut icon for it onthe desktop and all a user would have to do is douoble click the icon to runthe batch file and thus, the task. It doesn't get much easier for a user than that.

good luck,sh

8. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Batch file launches ATI but imaging doesn't start

For this situation, yes I will create shortcuts to batch files for my friend. But, batch files are beyond an average user.

For an average user, it would be better if Acronis would build easy command line functionality, shortcuts, etc. into ATI.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.