Cluster sizing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by usermonster, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usermonster

usermonster Guest

Usiing Acronis TI 8 - I was about to Clone my 160gb drive onto another 160gb (while still keeping the original -- the plan is to have someone hold the clone for safekeeping), when the wizard seemed to indicate that it was going to change the cluster size on one of the partitions on the Source Drive. That got me very nervous. Why does TI want to make changes to the source drive -- why doesn't it just clone the drive as is? I tried different settings, but in all cases, it looked as though it would change the cluster size on the source drive no matter what. Should I be worried about this? Can I clone w/o this happening?

thx

2. Usermonster

Usermonster Guest

Actually, it's TI9, and I see that there are cluster sizing issues, but I thought they affected the destination drive, not the source drive. Anyone?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Usermonster,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please collect the following information?

- Create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post for the source drive prior to starting the disk cloning process;

- Create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post for both hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished;

- Make a screen shot of the message indicating that Acronis True Image 9.0 is going to change the cluster size on the source hard drive;

- Find the full version name and build number as it is shown here;

- Tell us whether the situation is the same in both cases: when the disk cloning process is started from under Windows and when it is launched from Bootable Rescue CD.

Send all the collected files and information to support@acronis.com along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

And can anyone say that Acronis has doesn't have 95% of the present posters being beta testers? Seems every post has the instructions to copy this and send this so we can figure out the problems you are having...thank you, but no thanks on this end. Why in the h*ll should we do the work that Acronis should have already done with a real beta test group. My opinion is if this is a 'tested' complete program before issue, then it is a very poorly run company at the present time.

What happened to your quality control Acronis? Just throw something out and see what happens? For a program that is this critical to buyers for it's intended use, this management and marketing is a disgrace.

...Allen

5. sepius

sepius Guest

In thier defence, Acronis is doing what everyone else is. I dont know how often I get fixes and or workarounds from Non staff of the product delevopers. I am used to this myself being a big Linux user, most windows users are used to stuff just working, at the cost of performance.
    With the increasing complexity and variablilty of systems, hard drives, IDE controllers, SATA, north bridge, south bridge etc, every instance cannot be tested before release. We run our software on systems collected over the years, and we still have issues with certain hardware.
    One thing I do like to say is that they respond to the request. I have dealt with other, larger corporations, and two companies have NEVER!! replied to one single request I have emailed, posted etc. This cluster issue is infuriating, but I do not blame Acronis, and I have only had an issue once, being now. I am trying different HDD, but it seems to be more the CPU system and chip set. Its going from a PIII 1.0 to a PII 450 for auditing and then back. I am next going to try a larger system if needed.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I'll be among the first to say that version 9 was released without sufficient testing but there is no way anybody can test every combination of hardware and software available in the PC world, let alone throw in some end-user finger trouble as well. The multi-vendor diversity that makes the PC so cheap and flexible is also its achilles heel.

Version 2323 seems to be working quite well for most people as demonstrated by a significant reduction of activity on this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.