CLONING

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Raaid, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raaid

Raaid Registered Member

Hi - New to Acronis and this forum!

I have Acronis True Image and wish to clone my internal HDD such that I have a bootable external HDD when needed, retaining my current HDD as is.

I've read the Help advice on how to clone a hard drive but have one query before I proceed.

After the cloning process, will my source HDD continue to be bootable?
    (The source drive being my internal drive and the destination clone being my usb HDD).

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Yes, the source will still be bootable as long as you don't choose the option to erase it as part of the cloning process - if that option is still there.

3. Raaid

Raaid Registered Member

Thanks DwnNdrty.

I'll go ahead.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Raaid,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

DwnNdrty is correct. However, please notice that Windows operating system cannot boot from external hard drives. Therefore, it's recommended to create an image instead, store it on the external drive and restore when needed. Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk).
    Moreover, there are several advantages of creating an image over the disk cloning procedure such as: you can create an image without rebooting your PC, image creation can be scheduled for the particular point in time, Acronis True Image allows you to create incremental and differential images, image archive contains only the actual data and so it has a smaller size, images are ordinary files and so they can be stored on any type of the supported media, etc. However, the final choice is always up to your needs.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.