Cloning Raid 5 system partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tremzz, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tremzz

tremzz Registered Member

Ok. Here goes: I've got a win2k3 server with a raid5 array. The person who originally brought the server up only created a 5gb system partition that is now completely out of space.

The raid5 is as follows: 5gb C: system partition. 60gb e: partition (with sql data).

Here is what I intend to do: I have two drives that I want to make a mirror. I would like to be able to clone the raid5 c: system partition to the mirrored drives all the while leaving my original raid5 e: partition intact. I want my new mirrored drives to be bootable as well, and get rid of the old raid5 c: partition. I hope that was clear.

Is this possible to do with Acronis Entrprise Server 9?

Thanks in advance!

2. far182

far182 Registered Member

The short answer is yes. I don't think you need Acronis for this though.

Before we move into how or options, what kind of RAID5 and RAID1(mirror) are you using? Is it software RAID or Hardware RAID?

3. tremzz

tremzz Registered Member

It's a hardware Raid.

4. tremzz

tremzz Registered Member

Does anyone else have any solutions for this?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tremzz,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that you will be able to perform this task with Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows. Namely, you will be able to clone the entire hard drive (RAID5) to another hard drive (RAID1) with help of Clone Disk tool of Acronis True Image. Or, if you would like to "copy" only the system partition from one hard drive to another, you could you Backup tool. You will need to create the backup of the selected partition and then restore this backup to the target hard drive. The restored partition will be bootable if the original partition was bootable. You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

Also if you are going to use different RAID controllers I would recommend that you use Acronis Universal Restore plug-in that allows you to restore the image to a different hardware. Please check Chapter 3.6 "Acronis Universal Restore" of the Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows User's Guide for more details.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.