Cloning - Disk not found

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Looser, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Looser

Looser Registered Member

Hello,
    first thread, I'm new in this forum and a German.
    I use Acronis True Image 8.0, Windows XP Prof. SP2
    Try to clone drive c:\ (160 GB) to a USB-drive (250 GB).
    All settings are made correctly, after restart, following message: "disk not found". What went wrong?o_O
    Both drives are formatted as NTFS, each drive only 1 partition.
    I tried changes in the bios, but no success. Seems like drivers for USB are not loaded after restart. Or has someone another idea?
    Thanks for your help.

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

As you suggest, it sounds like a driver issue. I suggest you download the trial of V10 and see if that offers better compatability.

F.

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Are you trying to boot from the cloned usb drive while it is still in the usb enclosure? I don't think that is possible. You have to remove the 160 gb drive and put the 250 gb in its place.

4. Looser

Looser Registered Member

No, I'm not trying to boot from the cloned USB drive. I only want to clone drive c:\ to an USB drive. But after the restart, which ATI requires, the message "disk not found" appears. After the restart the system boots from c:\

I tested the same configuration on another system (ATI 8.0, Windows XP Prof. SP2), Cloning drive c:\ (160 GB) to an USB drive (160 GB) and what a wonder, it works very well.

May the size of the USB drive play a roll? I don't think so! To my opinion it is a driver issue. But is it solved with a newer version of ATI?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Looser,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists.

If the issue persists, please do the following:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;

- Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;

- Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please also make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the way described in this previous post and create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

We would also recommend that you try to perform the disk cloning when your computer is booted from the Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0. In such way, you will exclude the possibility of some third party software preventing Acronis True Image from working correctly, as no operating system or any other applications are running when computer is booted from the Bootable Rescue CD.

I would also recommend that you read the following article by Microsoft <Microsoft Recommendations for Booting Windows from USB Storage Devices>, which indicates that Windows is currently not optimized to run as an installed operating system from USB attached mass-storage.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Make the bootable Rescue CD, boot from it and try the Cloning from its menu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.