Cloning / Backing up over home network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sbhusted, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbhusted

sbhusted Registered Member

Hello,

I've done a search and read numerous threads on the subject, but can't quite get a feel of what I can and can't do with ATI8. I think I may have purchased the wrong product for what I want to do (by suggestion from someone else), although for making images it will still be handy I'm sure.

What I'm trying to accomplish is this. I have a 3 PC network. 2 WinXP boxes and a SuSE 9.3 Pro Linux box. They are all connected via my home network / SAMBA, and I have 2 x 250GB Seagate Barracude drives in RAID 1 format on the Linux box (using Linux Raid). I have this drive mapped on my primary XP box. I have total access to it for browsing, read, write, execute, etc. No problems. On this primary XP box, I have a "D" drive called 'Archives'. What I would like to do is copy all the files on the 'Archives' drive (no OS, just files ranging from back of apps to multimedia to personal files) to my Linux box drive, which serves as a personal FTP Server. I was hoping ATI8 would allow me to make incremental backups over the network onto the Linux box so I basically have a mirror image of 'Archives' on my RAID mirror setup. So, I don't want to make an 'image' per se, I just want to make copies (clone) my Archives drive over to the Linux box.

I've got a feeling ATI8 will not handle this, but I'm hoping someone can confirm my fears or explain how this may be done...

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sbhusted,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you can create image of your hard drive (or partition) to SMB share with Acronis program. Please note, that Acronis True Image can only backup an entire drive or partition, but you can still restore individual files or folders from a backup image.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. sbhusted

Thanks for the response and info... but is it possible to transfer the content from the Archive drive to the smb drive 'without' an image using Acronis? IE.. just the files themselves without it being an actual Acronis "image" file?

4. Acronis Support

Hello sbhusted,

Acronis True Image main function is image creation. This software allows you to store images on the remote computer. It doesn't allow you to clone the drive, however.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. sbhusted

Thank you.. that is what I wanted to know. Looks like I was misinformed. ;)

6. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I would appreciate it if Acronis Support (or anyone else) can further clarify the Remote Operations functionality of TI Corp Workstation.

Considering a 3 PC peer-to-peer MS Home Network (each running WinXP Pro), can one create and restore images of all 3 PCs from any one of the 3 PCs?, or just from one in particular?

I would also like to receive a reply to the question, but with regard to creating a clone rather than an image...

Thanks very much!

7. Acronis Support

Hello pvsurfer,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Acronis True Image Coporate Workstation is pretty different from Acronis True Image. The former does allow you to create images of remote computers providing you have installed Acronis True Image Agent on each computer you want to create the image of. You may store the image on any other computer in the network (including local computer). The remote operations are managed by Acronis True Image Management Console which can be installed on any computer in your network.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Thanks Ilya... However, you didn't say whether or not the Corp Workstation version can also Clone a remote PC's HDD (from the local PC). :doubt:

9. Acronis Support

Hello pvsurfer,

We regret to inform you that current version of Acronis True Image Coporate Workstation cannot clone drives via network. You may perform cloning only between disks that are plugged directly to your computer.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.