Cloned drive won't boot automatically

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mystified, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystified

Mystified Registered Member

Today I finally was able to clone successfully my old hd to a new 120 gb Western Digital hd. Everything works! However, the cloned drive will not boot automatically. I have to enter the Boot menu (F12) when the first Windows screen appears and manually pick the C drive or enter Setup (F2) and then just exit the setup screen for XP to actually boot. I suspect there is something really simple that I need to do, but I haven't a clue. I have the drive jumpered as the WD directions indicate (as the only drive on the cable). Should it be jumpered as Cable Select? Also, I plan on adding a second 120 WD as a slave for extra storage once I get this boot thing straightened out. I'm assuming I should then use the Master jumper setting for the cloned drive and the slave setting for the second drive.

Thanks in advance for any and all help--and for everyone's patience!

Mystifed

2. wdeboer

wdeboer Registered Member

Maybe you need to enable the partition as bootable or something :)

3. Mystified

How do I do that? I thought that since the original C drive was the boot drive, then the resulting clone would also be bootable. That's what the directions in the manual stated, too. Thanks for your help.

Mystified

4. wdeboer

wdeboer Registered Member

Well, you might want to make it Primary. But you should better wait for some real smart guys relateed on this topic :)

5. Mystified

Since I posted the original inquiry, I've tried resetting the jumper cable to cable select and single master, all to no effect. The cloned drive still will not boot automatically. This really has me stumped. The first Windows screen still just shows at first F2 Setup and F12 Boot Menu. After a few seconds, a screen comes up saying that the computer was not able to identify the primary hard drive and to press F1 to continue. When I do so, the computer then boots normally. Further, when I do enter the BIOS in Setup, it shows the WD drive as the primary 0 drive set on auto. If it's showing up in the BIOS, why isn't it being recognised right from the beginning? How can I get it to recognise the cloned drive automatically and start up normally as it used to with the old drive? Everything else on the cloned drive works perfectly. As I said before, I plan on adding a second WD 120 gb hard drive as a slave for extra storage, but I don't want to do that until I'm confident that the cloned one will work properly as the master drive. I would really appreciate any help and insight. This is driving me nuts! Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year to all.

Mystified

6. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Check the "Boot Order" in the BIOS. It sounds as if the problem is either there or the hard drive is defective.

7. Mystified

I am really embarassed! What a fool I am! I finally figured out the problem and the problem is that I can't read! Well, I can read but apparently taking in what I read is another matter. The computer was telling me all along what I had done wrong. It kept telling me at the outset that Primary Drive 1 could not be found. It finally dawned on me that the cloned hard drive is numbered "0" and in the BIOS it was telling me precisely that and that there was nothing attached on the Primary 1. The cloned drive came from one that had been configured to work with a secondary slave drive, so the system on the clone was still looking for the other drive. When I finally realized this, I immediately attached the new slave drive, turned the computer on, and it booted up normally!! Then I used True Image 8 to set up the slave drive and all is right with the world--or at least my tiny little speck of it! What a buffoon I am!! All this education and I still can't even read!

Thanks again to all who volunteered their help and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.