Cloned disk does not boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stevenstar, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevenstar

stevenstar Registered Member

I've cloned my 60gig laptop hd using Acronis 9.0 3 times to a new 100gig hd. All three times, the cloned drive does not boot in the IBM T42 laptop to XP. I can boot to the rescue and recovery partition that was cloned and I can see the files and directories on the cloned drive, but no boot. I get a blinking cursor. I tried booting off XP recovery console and issued the fixboot c: command, but still no boot. Any suggestions?

Steve

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

I'm not sure whether TI allows you to create a clone unless there is a master/slave relationship in place. If that is the case, then check whether your original disk has a jumper. If it has then your clone needs one also when you swap it with the original.

3. stevenstar

stevenstar Registered Member

When I did the clone, I put both drives on the same ide ribbon in another computer (mine is a laptop). I did have to place the jumper to designate the first drive as IDE0, maybe it would have worked if I had kept the jumper when I re-installed, I can't remember if it was the same drive I placed the jumper on. Anyway, I was able to accomplish what I wanted to do by backing up to an external IDE drive and restoring from the IDE drive to the new hard drive so all is well.

Steve

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello stevenstar,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

Please note, that you may try performing an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP. The full description of this process is available at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

If it doesn't help, please use BOOTCFG program from an XP Recovery Console command to fix the problem. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. Additional information is available at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291980

If the problem persists we recommend that you to collect Acronis Report information like it is described there and send it to us along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Fedor Kurbatov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.