Cloned data HDD set as active with ATI 10, Why?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by d.chatten, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

I have two HDDs in my system, one as the OS "System" disk and one as a data storage disk, i have just replaced both of them with new ones, when i cloned the OS "System" disk to the new HDD the partition was set as the "System" disk or "Active" partition as it should, but, when i cloned the data storage disk the partition on the data disk was also set as "Actve", the issue here is the original data storage disk/partition was not set as "Active".

Also i would like to point out that the only HDDs that were connected to the system during cloning was the HDD to be cloned and the new HDD, i then shut down the system and removed the old HDD before booting into Windows with the new, i then shutdown the system and removed all HDDs and repeated the same actions with the data disk, there is also only one single partition on each disk.

Why would ATI 10 set my data disk/partition as active?

Isn't the whole point of cloning a disk to get an excact copy/clone of the original?

I have since set the data disk as "Inactive" but i would still like to know why ATI 10 set my new cloned data disk as active.

Thanks!

2. d.chatten

Anyone!

3. d.chatten

So, it doesn't seem as if there is no one on this forum can help with this issue, either that or no one has ever experienced this issue, i posted here because i thought there was some very smart people on this forum that maybe able to help.

I at least thought Acronis support would have answered by now as there is an obvious issue with the clone process as it doesn't acually clone the HDD, ATI 10 takes it upon it's self to set the HDD as active during the clone process even though the original HDD wasn't set active in the first place.

4. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

just another example of pilot error :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  5. Ice_Czar

sort of depends, sometimes yes, sometimes its a reasonable facsimile of the old disk\partition expanded or edited to the new environment. As to why the partition was flagged active I dont know. Generally to get an exact copy a sector by sector clone is done, but Ive never used TI myself and Im unfamiliar with the exact options available.

Was the drive partitioned as a primary before the clone?

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

I assume that when you had only the 2 data HDDs installed at the same time (old and new) to do that clone, you booted the system with the ATI boot CD, ran the cloning process, turned off the computer, then connected up the two new cloned HDDs (system and data).

Doug

7. d.chatten

The original data drive was partitioned as primary before the clone, but the new HDD wasn't partitioned at all, ATI done all that was needed as far as partitioning goes, apart from the size of the partition, i expanded the partiontion on the new drive to use all available space.

8. d.chatten

Yes you are correct, this is excactly what i did so only one drive "System" should have been set as active.

9. Ice_Czar

having an active flag on a primary partition is no big deal unless there is a Master Boot Record it cant do anything.
    its like having an appendix, it just goes unused.

you can have as many active partitions as you do drives
    and of course the system partition by definition is active

possibly its a precaution
    in the event your "data" partition is actually an unrecognized filesystem thats supposed to be bootable?

as far as a bug goes this is pretty benign
    having no real world effect other than a possibly annoying piece of information in diskmanagement that the status has changed which takes all of 2 clicks to correct

maybe its hardcoded into any "whole drive" clone

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  10. d.chatten

@Ice Czar,

Thanks for your input, everything you have said makes a great deal of sense.

I know that you can have as many active partitions as drives, but, the reason that i asked this question was to find out why a cloned drive would be set as active when the original wasn't active.

If the drive to be cloned wasn't set as active in the first place and the new drive was, then it isn't a clone.

You could be right about it being a precaution, but, if ATI did a true clone of the drive then why would this precaution be needed in the first place.

Also to set a partition as inactive takes a bit more than two clicks, you have to use diskpart to do this.

11. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Not sure exactly of your procedure details, but after cloning only one of the clones should be present until the first successful boot. Since the 2 drives are identical including signatures it can cause Windows to get confused. This is not a TI issue but a general cloning and Windows issue.

12. d.chatten

This is how i did the system drive.

1> Disconnected all HDDs

2> Connected system drive and new HDD

3> Booted with ATI media

4> Cloned system drive to new HDD

5> Shutdown computer

6> Removed old system drive

7> Booted to Windows with only the new cloned system drive connected

This is how i did the data drive.

1> Disconnected all HDDs

2> Connected data drive and new HDD

3> Booted with ATI media

4> Cloned data drive to new HDD

5> Shutdown computer

6> Removed old data drive

7> Connected system drive

8> Booted to Windows with the new cloned data and system drive connected

13. Ice_Czar

LOL your right I was think in reverse :rolleyes:
    2 clicks to make active

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello d.chatten,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that I have forwarded this issue to our Develpment Team and will let you know the results of their investigation as soon as possible. As this can take a few days, I apologize in advance for any delay with the response.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.