Clone image vs. Backup Image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Colvin, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

I realize that a "Clone image" is used when changing out a HDD where you want to transfer all the data from an existing HDD and a "Backup image" is used for saving/restoring data from the same HDD.

But what is essentially the difference between the two . . . i.e., why is it necessary to create a "Clone" of an existing drive rather than using a Backup image when installing a new HDD which will be configured to be the Master drive on the system?

THANKS!!

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

You could create a backup image and then restore that image to another HDD as a means of creating a clone. However, if you want to clone a disk it's a one step approach to use the clone feature of TI. To achieve the same effect with a backup image requires that you first create an image and then restore the image to the destination disk. This is far more tedious and time consuming than simply using the clone function.

3. Michael777

Michael777 Registered Member

It may be tedious and time consuming...however when testing the reliability of TI, it is crutial.

I am a user of Drive Image (before PowerQuest was purchased by Symantec). I would like switch to TI, but need to test it first.

DI allowed any partition image to be copied to any other drive or partiton. I have created a TI partition "backup" that I now want to copy to a free drive in my system. After it is copied I will activate that partition, shut down, remove all other drives from the system and see if the system will boot.

However, TI can seemingly only "restore" partitions to C:.

What am I missing?

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I gave up on DriveImage after DI 2002 (version 6) which I still sometimes use. TI can do the same things, but it's slicker and can backup the boot partition while Windows is running and has support for USB and Firewire external drives and network cards natively.

You can make an image of any partition and restore it to any other drive/partition as long as there is room.

5. Michael777

Michael777 Registered Member

Thank you for your reply.
    DI 2002 is what I am using (with W2K) and has served me well.

I am moving to XP and need an imaging solution. And it "appears" TI will do the trick.

You state "You can make an image of any partition and restore it to any other drive/partition as long as there is room."

However TI only lets me "restore" to C:.

How can I restore my image to drive 2 for instance? drive 2 being an 80 gig drive that is currently unallocated.

Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.