CHX-I & IPV6

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Diver, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Around this forum it has been mentioned that CHX-I does not work with IPV6.

What would happen if a rule was made allowing incoming Ethernet type "Other" "86dd"?

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Diver,

I have not checked any firewall for IPV6 filtering, mainly as I have not looked for updated packet creation programs (I will have to look). So just a comment:-

Placing a rule to allow ethernet 86dd (IPV6), which may actually need a force allow rule for the inbound, should allow that Ethernet type, but unless a packet filter is setup to actually filter such packets then the packets will be allowed regardless of header info/content.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Stem,

I was afraid that would be the answer.

Fortunately, the need to run IPV6 is probably a year or 2 in the future & by that time this particular XP powered notebook will be replaced by the latest and greatest something or other.

-Diver

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

It is used now by various servers. As a simple example, users of Vista will have IPV6 outbound on boot (with default installation of that os) to MS servers, unless you change the installation.

There will be a number of problems during this reconstruct, certainly with firewalls, I will sit back and see the outcome.

Regards

- stem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.