Chromebook - why?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by emmjay, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I just noticed this on my Chrome Home Page today. I checked out the Features etc and it looks like an entry laptop for a child, however it uses the Chromium OS. Wifi comes in some of the models. Anybody buying one of these and why?

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Chromebook - why?

Because they are affordable?

I'm considering buying one of the third generation models.

Third Generation

3. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Enough said--Affordable :thumb:

With this tough economy,why not?!

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

And afaik you don't need to worry about malware aiming for the Chrome OS....yet :)

5. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I wouldn't want one because it's limited to whatever you can do just through the browser. For instance, I couldn't use KeePass, and that kinda limits what I can do on the web when I can't log in to anything. Lastpass users should be fine though.

Plus, on general principle I don't like the idea of everything running from the cloud. I get that on any web browser there may be a degree of what you do exposed, but on this thing I couldn't even compose a simple text file without it being stored on Google's servers (if I'm understanding it correctly). I'd rather keep private whatever doesn't absolutely need to be online.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Same here. I'm sure there are some folks that would have use for one, but I find it way too limiting.

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Maybe a dumb question, but does Chrome OS have a built-in firewall by any chance? (Useful if one isn't behind a router/hardware firewall.)

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It uses ipfilters. I'll happily buy a Pixel if I can afford one in a few months.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Not my cup of tea. :D
    As others have said, too limited.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Anyone who thinks the Chromebook Pixel is good value for money is insane.

The standard Chromebooks are good "netbook" replacements in my opinion.

11. Hungry Man

Is there another PC with similar specs for the same price? The build quality looks pretty incredible.

12. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

No official support to Windows = no, no, NOT for me.

Even a MacBook would be more tempting.

13. elapsed

14. Hungry Man

I'd rather not read through the drivel of the masses - I get far more than my daily dose of stupid as it is. I skimmed and didn't see any links. I saw mention of the surface pro, which was funny, but not really helpful.

15. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Is a Chromebook, as shipped and from an ordinary user POV, something that resembles a general purpose PC or is it more along the lines of a Google Play app, Google Cloud service tied device?

Can someone of modest technical ability easily wipe it and install a non-Google related OS... even replace the firmware if they cared to?

Can someone of modest technical ability easily eliminate or at least disable the pre-installed Google Play and Google cloud related apps, then replace those with alternatives acquired directly from their developers rather than a Google approved/affiliate store?

Can the user disable or configure a prompt for automatic updates, control metrics and other data collection software built into the OS, and compute in an independent fashion consistent with information security and privacy?

Take, say, a PC compatible notebook that shipped with Windows 7 vs one that came equipped with Microsoft only secure boot firmware limiting you to a Metro only type OS which either required or made it practically difficult to compute without being tied to the Microsoft store (and possibly other Microsoft cloud services). Someone might call each a "PC", but they are very different animals and the later one is far less of a general purpose personal computer than the first one. A device becomes less personal, less yours, as restrictions and tying and other hurdles increase.

16. Wild Hunter

"$1299 for a browser...."

"I think Google is making MS look good. You can get the Surface Pro for less and it does so so so very much more."

LOL at Neowin's readers comments. Some of them are really nice.

17. Wild Hunter

@TheWindBringeth

Second option (IMO) / No / No / No.

Hope that helps.

18. elapsed

It was just a small example of what is generally regarded on tech sites, at least for those with common sense.

Here's a "comparison" link for you:
    http://www.wpcentral.com/google-chromebook-pixel-versus-surface-pro

TLDR:
    What is funny is people Google fanboys criticize the surface pro for price, then talk about buying a Chromebook Pixel. :D

It truly is completely hilarious.

Then again I've seen people buying MacBooks to browse facebook so...

19. SirDrexl

I don't know the answers to these questions, but the first hurdle with the $250 model would be storing your OS and other data. It has just 16GB of storage space, and that comes in the form of chips soldered to the board, rather than a drive that could potentially be replaced. There may not be any room to place your own internal drive, nor any interface to connect to it.

20. Hungry Man

@Elapsed,

The link was quite funny, thank you. I always find the typical response to chromebooks a good laugh.

21. elapsed

You're welcome HM, although my bet is you didn't even bother to read it if you think this has anything to do with a "typical Chromebook response". It's a fair and detailed article about the Pixel's price, typical Chromebook responses are generally netbook-related comments, not "it's hilariously expensive". :)

I'm sure we will see you buying one soon enough :argh:

22. Hungry Man

Read the whole thing. Typical Chromebook responses are "It's not a full operating system" and "omg it's just a browser" etc.

I'd love to buy one, but I'd probably go for the y580 if I had the money. I don't, so it'll be a while before I purchase any new system.

23. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

They're as low as $199 for the Acer Chromebook and yes, it's netbook size. But the Samsung Chromebook has a full sized keyboard and HP has just released a 14" Chromebook.

And no, you don't have to use just Google services. You can use outlook.com or any other web competitor. Many use SkyDrive along with the free 100gb of Google Drive. You can use ZeroPC and do wonders with it.

Yes, it's a cloud browser, but it also allows for local playing of videos, music, and word processing via USB ports. No Windows and No Java - (Java being the only real limitation of the Chromebook with some web apps). However, there is also the Chrome App Store where many of those same services have apps that play perfectly with the Chromebook.

It's hard to get a SSD drive 10 second boot-up (like one does with the $249 Samsung Chromebook) with Windows. The Chromebook has its place.

You can also use several VPN services...HMA being the biggest in the Chrome App Store.

24. SirDrexl

Now I'm considering getting one for my niece some time. She likes my netbook and the Acer seems like a good fit. She's only 7, so I don't think she needs something more sophisticated.

Can you use a wireless mouse (not Bluetooth, but something like a Logitech with the little adapter) with this thing? The driver is generally included with Windows and installed upon detection, but with this I wanted to be sure. I'm not even sure she'll want a mouse, but I use one with my netbook so she has used that.

Are there any kinds of parental controls?

25. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Parental Controls

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/parental control

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search-extensions/parental control

And definitely OpenDNS.

Wireless Mouse

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/chromebook-central/sAXqXANL6FU
    (definitely get the wireless with the small dongle vs bluetooth.)
    Logitech and Microsoft seem to be the best bets - just ignore the driver installs. ChromeOS detects them fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.