Chrome Stable Channel Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Page42, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Rules

Rules Registered Member

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Thnx, I just updated and everything seems fine. :thumb:

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks, Rules!
    I see that this update includes 62 security fixes. :thumb:

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Same here. All good.

5. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Anyone else seeing the desktop icons & taskbar refresh when opening the v40 of chrome? I already had the new avatar menu disabled & a chrome employee on the product forums says to disable the new profile management system to stop the refreshing which I did but it still refreshes every time chrome opens, very annoying.

6. Minimalist

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Looks like a lot of Chrome users are seeing this issue, Banzi. You've probably read all of the reports.
    Very best option, if none of the suggested fixes has worked for you, is to "Report an issue".

PS - Are you definitely running stable and not beta? I've seen the issue you describe get fixed when users forgot they were running beta and switched to stable.

8. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I saw this happening after getting V40 Yesterday. I have not seen it happen today yet.

9. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

I only use the stable x64 release of chrome, have got the enable new avatar menu disabled & then disabled enable new profile management system after checking the chrome forums.

Have sent them the info through the report a problem like you suggested.

10. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Going to reboot & see if that might stop it doing it every time chrome is opened.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I saw lots of advice to uninstall/reinstall Chrome, and none of the users claimed that this worked. That always seems to be a knee-jerk response to anything that is wrong.

I do, however, think it is valid to try disabling (or even removing) extensions, then checking to see if the issue is gone.

Have you reported the issue, Banzi?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  12. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

I have disabled all extensions but it still does it, the issue has only started since the update to chrome v40. I read the advice to uninstall etc but everyone that posted back said it made no difference, chrome is my default browser but it almost looks like it keeps registering itself or registering file associations when it loads.

13. Kilmore

Kilmore Registered Member

I hadn't noticed because Chrome is always maximised at launch, but it is doing the same here. W7 64 bit and Chrome 40 stable fwiw.
    I haven't investigated this at all, but I have noticed that if I launch Chrome in Sandboxie the desktop icons are unaffected. Launch Chrome normally (outside Sandboxie) and the icons all refresh.
    I've no idea at this stage what that means, but maybe it gives you a clue.

14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have checked it out, and Chrome is less crappy than I thought, it has been improved in the last years, and for sure is better than Opera 26, which is also based on the Blink engine. What I don't like is the phoning home, even after disabling certain privacy settings.

It also needs a menu and status-bar. There are absolutely no customizing options when it comes to the interface, and no mouse gestures. I also miss the "URL Alias" feature. Other things: No ability to put tabs on bottom. No ability to close tabs with double-click, no ability to focus on the left or right tab after tab closing. So all in all, not even close to being good enough.

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think simplicity in the GUI, both aesthetically and technically, were Chrome's original raison d'etre though.

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, sadly enough that doesn't work for everyone, and even worse, a lot of browsers like IE, Firefox and Maxthon have cloned this idea. I do hope that Maxthon will somehow figure out a way to offer the stuff what I'm after.

17. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, I do miss some of the customisability Maxthon lost. It's bad enough that Maxthon has gone a tad 'Windows 8 ugly' as well. I always thought Chrome looked attractively and aesthetically simple though, in almost a Zen-like sense. It has nice themes as well.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

This issue has happened to users prior to the release of v40, fwiw.
    Seems like Chrome updates tend to break something for someone, all the time.

19. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Yeah they do have a habit of annoying changes in the browser, first it was disabling & removing the IDM extension then the menu spacing\padding that just was stupid & then silly new tab page with the big logo & search box, had to use a extension to get rid of that once they removed the switch to go back to the older new tab page.

I doubt I will hear anything back from them, have sent them lots of feedback in android that always gets ignored.

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yeah, I doubt you will ever get a reply. The best you can hope for is to get noticed!

Banzi, if it was happening to me, I would try one more thing. I would try toggling the profile management back on then off again.
    Sometimes this process of toggling back and forth works with other minor annoyances in Windows, and maybe it will work for you.

1. Enter “chrome://flags” (without quotes) into the Chrome address bar.
    2. You will get a warning so be careful what you click on.
    3. Scroll down until you find the entry “Enable new profile management system”. (It’s pretty far down.)
    4. In the drop-down menu, select “Disabled”. The graphic below shows an example of the entry.
    5. Click the button “Relaunch Now” that appears at the bottom of the screen.

Chrome will restart and the new avatar menu will be gone. If you want the profile management back, go to step 4 above and choose “Default” in the drop-down menu.

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I haven't been able to replicate this on my computers. There is no icon refresh regardless of Sandboxie's use.
    It's good that you mentioned it, though, as it could be pertinent.
    Kilmore, what is the status of the New User Profile Menu on your system? Have you turned it off, or still on?

22. Kilmore

Kilmore Registered Member

It is still on. I'll have a play with it when I get a chance as well as trying some less restrictive Sandboxie settings to see if I can work out what is going on.

edit,
    Turning off New User Profile Menu solves the issue.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  23. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

I have been trying to figure out my right click issues i have been having with the beta software i have been testing. eg; right click tray icon (ExeradarPro) and the software Gui pops up. Chrome version 40 is the only thing on my rig that was updated around the same time as the beta software. Since many users are having icon issues, thought i might try here.

So; if someone could please test this for me with regards to Chrome version 40 it would be much appreciated,

1. login to wilders security forum,
    2. type some thing into the reply box, but be sure miss spell something.
    3. right click on the red underlined miss spelled word..what happens??
    4. right click any software tray icon...what happens??

Currently for me sometimes it takes 2 or 3 right clicks for the context menu options to show properly. Other times i right click, the context menu blinks, then disappears. Another right click sometimes opens the context menu options properly.

Strange behavior i cant seem to pinpoint..

regards.

24. Minimalist

Right click is working OK for me. If I would have similar problem I would try to disable hardware acceleration. It did solve some similar problems in past.

25. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Yeah have tried resetting enable new profile management system & also enable new avatar menu back to default then relaunching & setting them back to disabled. With both disabled the desktop icons & taskbar only refresh once on every launch of chrome, with just one of them disabled they refresh twice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.