Chrome - security/privacy extension

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Gnikf, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

Since there is a thread about Firefox lets see what analogs we've got for Chrome.

I would start with
    Use HTTPs - even if right now it works just for facebook and twitter out of the box

2. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

3. Ring0

Ring0 Registered Member

HSTS is HTTPS Strict Transport Security: a way for sites to elect to always use HTTPS.

Typing chrome://net-internals/ into your address bar, and then include HSTS menu item.

Add domain (example.com) paypal.com, google.com, ......

To delete: Delete domain (example.com) paypal.com, google.com,......

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Simply brilliant find thx to one who searchers :thumb:

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

That built-in function isn't that useful. First, for security reasons what ever you add to it, will only be valid for as long as the session lasts. Second, if you add a *.domain to it, then it will force every sub-domain. Many domain's sub-domains do not have a working HTTPS version, hence it will result in error.

We're better off with something like HTTPS Everywhere/similar.

6. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

7. Ring0

Ring0 Registered Member

I'm sorry, I thought you knew, you can make your *.json file, or download this and add your *.domain manually.
    http://code.ohloh.net/file?fid=CL0MsPYvGEaWT8eXN5-zAEVg2Z0&cid=0W4KUpSYxGo&s=&browser=Default

No, If Include subdomains: not checked = include_subdomains:false

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yeah, I think I came across an example like that before. But, I believe the security principle behind it is the same. There's a good reason why HSTS doesn't keep entries beyond Chrome's session. I've read a thread over Chromium's own forum sometime ago; will have to see if I can find it again.

I don't think having a JSon file would change that security risk?

You're right, but if we do check the Include subdomains: option, then it will force all subdomains to default to HTTPS, and many website's subdomains do not have an HTTPS version, and the user will have to manually remove each entry that may be necessary.

To have all this trouble, I rather - and I do use - use HTTPS Everywhere, and add any additional rules to the settings file, by creating regexes.

Another good extension, for those not wanting to edit HTTPS Everywhere rules settings file, is Redirector.

9. HTTPS Everywhere (still in alpha stage)
    ScriptNo
    Adblock Plus + Adblock Element Hider
    Ghostery
    Do not Track Plus
    User Agent Changer (About 10 different ones available if you search)
    VirusTotal uploader
    Dr Web Link Checker
    AVG Link Checker

10. Ring0

Ring0 Registered Member

Configuring hsts data, I find this way sexier. :cool:

When using private browsing mode, hsts won't record any new hsts data.
    When you choose "Clear browsing data" and "Empty the cache" is checked, hsts data will be erased (TransportSecurity-file) from your profile.

To prevent this, find > profile > "TransportSecurity" file and set attributes: read only, after you have imported all desired *.domain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.