Chrome lost extensions and other settings

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Page42, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Boom! Out of nowhere, today Chrome 13.0.782.218 lost both extensions I had installed (actually 3 cause 1 was disabled but still installed).
    And it lost the under the hood settings, etc.
    Only thing I did was run CCleaner w/CCEnhancer, which I do plenty of times and no such loss occurs.
    What the heck happened?
    And what file should I backup in case I need to restore Chrome settings in the future?
    Weird.

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I know a lot of folks don't want to use Chromium because it is the development tree of Chrome, but I really like the copy/paste part of this. I know that my profile is in one place, and the program files are in another. It doesn't stop corruptions and things from happening, but it does allow me to be the boss of what happens.

Sul.

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm sorry but I don't see why one can't "copy/paste" with Chrome. (And, yes, I don't like recommending Chromium as a solution to Chrome problems :D : D :D )

Chrome has a folder called "Default" which keeps all the user goodies. And I'm not sure that that folder is in the same place as the program files, IIRC, with Win XP which is what page42 is on.

(On a lighter note, if that's permissible, this is just Chrome's way of showing resentment to the introduction of AdMuncher ;) )

In edit: For Win XP ...
    is the place for users' extensions, etc.
    Source: http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Well, I suppose you could copy/paste Chrome, but it seems a waste of time compared to Chromium, considering it is easy to get a new .zip version of Chromium for easy updating, which is why I mentioned copy/paste. With Chrome it has been my experience they don't make it as easy to find the offline version. I have a few links that used to have offline versions that don't work. I don't recall now, but can you even extract a Chrome offline installer, or does it only install?

Sul.

5. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I had this happen to me as well Page, when i did sync after restoring a system backup.

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Last time I tried, it wasn't that easy. You could either use Universal Extractor (it used to work) or install to Sandboxie, and then get the file chrome.7z.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm totally foxed. I genuinely don't see what the problem is with Chrome's updating. Isn't it easy? And differential?

8. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

No, you don't need UniExtractor, it's very easy using Winrar (twice).
    But ,anyway, i do what Vasa1 says. I copy/paste the "Default" folder in my hard drive

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Excellent. I think I shall begin by backing up that folder. :thumb:
    Would you believe I had a very similar thought myself?!? Though I did not think far enough ahead to attribute it to resentment. That saves a lot of troubleshooting! ;)
    Thank you. Always good to know. By any chance, had you recently installed Ad Muncher? :D

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Inanimate objects have feelings too. Check out resistentialism. Life becomes simpler then. Notice, I never rubbish browsers. People who do, have constant issues with them ;)

11. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Nope. I don't use Ad Muncher, nice try :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.