Chrome 15 goes stable, brings updated New Tab page to the masses

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You hear that Dave? You and I are special :D

@Hungry: I get it, I do. It's just that user behavior is not something I would count on as a browser Dev to deem a vulnerability trivial or serious. As you like to say, it shouldn't be up to the user when it comes to security. I don't want to hope my users don't change search engines, they do check for malware, and hope they use HTTPS sites on a regular basis...in the same session. That's a little much to be asking and a whole lot of hoping. I also don't want to have to answer "Well, we thought it was a laughably low possibly" when it does happen and the right folks with the right amount of influence come to me asking why the issue wasn't worked on or taken seriously.

I know, I know, the odds. But think about that a bit and be Google for a minute.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I wouldn't count on them not downloading the file, of course. But I also very much doubt more than .005% of Chrome users could even be effected by this.

I agree that it should be fixed. But a bug that can effect every user or even 10% of the users is much more serious than a bug that can only effect a tiny fraction of users while also relying on social engineering.

It's just a big leap. I still think it's an issue but 99.999% users have nothing to worry about. And if they do have someone on their network I seriously doubt that this will be the bug the attacker uses.

Again, I see that it's an issue but I understand why it's considered trivial.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah well, Opera has enough bugs without added exploits.

"Damn those Chromium teams ... etc etc ... LOL!

Well, you know what I think of Firefox's security. Mind you, I'm pretty sure that changing Firefox's default browser from Google is an about:config job.

4. Hungry Man

Not sure if it matters. Chrome makes that https connection as soon as it starts. Firefox may not.

Still, the network has to be compromised.

5. Daveski17

I hear it alright, I always knew it deep down. ;)

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Can you expand on this?
    According to Secunia there are no current unpatched vulnerabilities,so is there something specific affecting Opera?

7. Hungry Man

8. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

9. Hungry Man

It's nice to be able to create a custom newtab page.

10. Daveski17

If anyone is interested, I've just remembered how I changed Firefox's default browser from Google to Duck Duck Go SSL (& sometimes to Start Page). Something incidentally that is very easily done in SeaMonkey without going into about:config.

Type about:config into the runbar, then type browser.search.defaultenginename into the filter search box, it is the first entry in the list anyway. Right click & choose 'Modify' then type in the name of the engine you want in the pop-up box. You have to have the engine already installed of course.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's there!

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thanks, updated. I think the new tab page looks more visually appealing, but functionally a tiny bit lacking.

14. Hungry Man

Yeah I'm surprised they released the new tab page with 15. It had more functionality when it was first introduced but they had to remove it because of bugs - still they could have waited until 16.

15. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Something they need to fix for once and for all is the updates mechanism. I'm going to have to uninstall Google Chrome, once more, from a relative's computer, because it won't update internally nor using the offline installer.

Last time I checked about this issue, there were quite a few reports on Google's forum as well. They really need to sort this problem out.

Otherwise I'll let my relative know I won't be doing this anymore, and to rather use IE9... Or, live more dangerously and use Chromium. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.