Chrome 15 goes stable, brings updated New Tab page to the masses

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Awaiting for portable release.

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Nothing earth shattering at first glance but new security fixes are always welcome.

tnx for the heads-up m8! :thumb:

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Ditto! :)

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, thanks Hungry. :thumb:

Aghhhh what's happened to the startpage? .... we fear change ... :eek:

It's OK really. ;)

6. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Cool, I was waiting on this. Thanks for the update.

7. Hungry Man

For those interested Chromium has also hit 17.

The most notable change I can see is that HTTP Pipelining support is being implemented.

8. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

don't much care about security fix since i run it under SB anyway :D

9. Hungry Man

One of them addresses BEAST.

10. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Nice. For those not familiar with BEAST, Steve Gibson explains it thoroughly here.

11. Hungry Man

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

*insert conspiracy theory about Google forcing its search to be used here* :D

In all seriousness, the scenario that would allow an attack, while it seems to involve a lot..really doesn't involve much at all, minus the attacker controlled location perhaps. All in all, low yes, but also not "crazy unlikely", and therefore, IMHO of course, Google should be a little less nonchalant about it.

13. Hungry Man

It's pretty crazy unlikely.

1) The user would have to set the default search engine to something other than Google (which is the default upon installing.)

2) The attacker has to be on your network or have control over something on your network

3) The attack has to trick you into downloading a file

So you have to be already compromised network-wise, download a file, and have changed your browser settings (something maybe 1/10 users does if even.)

14. Hungry Man

Oh and if the user has visited an HTTPS site any time that session before the attack it will fail as well.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If you think about your typical wired connection, then perhaps. Throw your typically insecure wireless connection into the mix, and you might have some trouble. Besides, let's take some guesses as to how many systems out there have a rootkit/botnet hiding on them. We know that's a pretty high number, so there is your compromised network (along with the possibility of someone hooking into your wireless network). So, the compromised network isn't "crazy unlikely". We also have the search engine, okay, sure, not that many people will bother switching, I get that.

However, it's a single click to change it, and there are a good number of Bing users (and other search engine users as well..think of the privacy folks here who tout IXQuick and others). So, a single click and already plenty of alternative search engine users..not so "crazy unlikely".

Not visiting an HTTPS website? Unless you are shopping, or on a government website, using secure search and limited other things, you aren't visiting an HTTPS website. Not "crazy unlikely".

Let's get to the part of tricking people into downloading something...actually, let's stop before we start, as there is no sense in even attempting to call that "crazy unlikely".

Do you see why I'm disagreeing a bit here? The most unlikely of these factors is the changing of the default search engine. That's not a scenario I'd be comfortable blowing off if I were Google, especially if it cracks the almighty sandbox that they rely heavily on to deem their browser "un-exploitable".

16. Daveski17

Oh Bollocks, the first thing I do when I download Chrome is to change the default to Duck Duck Go SSL.

17. Hungry Man

The scenario really has to be fairly set up. I just don't feel it's very likely at all. Something like 20% people use Chrome. Maybe 5% of Chrome users change their default browser (I'm going by how many people install adblocking extensions) and of those 5% maybe another 1% are on compromised networks. Even if every single one of those unlucky few falls for the socially engineered malware those are some ridiculously low numbers.

I mean, it constitutes an issue for sure but as the Chromium dev says this isn't some "download this file and win 100 dollars" the user has to be compromised to begin with and they have to have changed the default browser settings.

18. Hungry Man

Do you honestly believe other people do this? lol

It may seems obvious to you, as obvious as installing adblock, but to 95% of the population it never occurs to them.

In fact I'd bet that less people change their default search engine than install adblock.

19. Daveski17

Ermmm ... not in my case ... please tell me changing it to Duck Duck Go SSL wasn't a mistake.

Firefox is looking more secure than Chrome every second that passes these days ...

20. Hungry Man

Not unless you already believe your network/computer to be compromised and plan on downloading specific malware for this bug.

Ironic... hilariously so considering that the bug was introduced by Mozilla's devs...

21. Daveski17

Does this officially qualify me as a browser nerd then? If it does, it is most excellent. ;)

22. Hungry Man

You're in the top 1% =p

23. Daveski17

I think I'll be OK.

*Adopts Charlton Heston voice* "Damn those Mozilla devs ... damn them all to hell ... "

It's back to Opera then! :eek: o_O

24. Daveski17

Cool. :cool:

25. Hungry Man

If you're worried about exploits Opera's the last one I'd go to.

I wouldn't blame the Mozilla devs, it's an open source project and Chromium team made the decision to use some of that code.

But to go to Firefox over this would be really funny considering it's their code that introduced the bug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.