Chrome 13 Dominates Windows 7 Browser Comparison, Bows To Safari On OS X

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK. Talking of Opera's security then, I didn't think it was particularly lacking or vulnerable. At one time many thought it was the safest browser 'out of the box' so to speak. Anyway, back to the OT ... ;)

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

But it does :D I use it every day for hours and hours :thumb:
    I use version 5.0.5 on 32-Bit XP SP3. With baby tiny 512MB of RAM.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

There are a number of bug fixes with the latest version. I just installed it and am liking it so far.https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=306618

5. Daveski17

Yes, you've said. I'm glad it is working so well for you. I've always liked Safari, but it does run better on Macs for most people.

6. Daveski17

It doesn't seem a major upgrade, I wonder if they have fixed the disappearing favicon icons bug? ;)

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes I have said because it does. And maybe it does run better on Macs (I think so too) it's still a fantastic browser even under Windows.

8. Daveski17

You may be in the minority there. ;)

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Unfortunately that's how it seems to be :p

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What's so fantastic about it? Other than the speed of WebKit.

11. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I think the main points of interest for Chrome are:
    V8 Javascript Engine
    WebKit
    The security it provides against exploits for both the browser and Flash

It may not have as many extensions as Firefox but it has a huge userbase growing and a very large selection already.

12. Daveski17

Chrome or Safari?

13. Daveski17

I can even use Top Sites & Cover Flow on my slightly underpowered Notebook without any real ill-effects. Unfortunately it has always been a bit freezy/crashy. I think it is an innovative browser in many ways & I needed to rely on it once when Firefox 3 was released & I had some crashing problems. At the time I couldn't open IE as it had a conflict between the UAC & Yahoo Messenger & it took me a long time to figure out what the problem was. If I hadn't had Safari 3 on the Notebook I would have probably had to load a browser from a disc. I have never met anyone online or other (apart from you) who has had much success with Safari on Windows.

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I though it was obvious, being next to your's and Swex's conversation about the "fantastic" Safari.

15. Daveski17

Well, not having a degree in the 'Bleeding Obvious' as John Cleese may have put it, the Internet, & bulletin boards particularly, are often plagued by countless semiotic ambiguities that can often be misunderstood. ;)

I would be reluctant to use the adjective fantastic for Safari on Windows. Unless, of course, you were using it in the original sense of the word. However; it is fast on a Mac, stable & runs smoothly. Its extensions work well & it has some interesting features, such as an inbuilt reader. Apparently, even on Windows it is gaining in popularity unlike Firefox & IE, which aren't.

Considering my own experience with Safari on Windows, this new popularity actually surprises me. Other WebKit (& there are several) browsers run very well on Windows.

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I know it throws the topic off a bit, but I'd just like to say that, really, there is little point in saying much about IE 9 when most of the world is still running on an OS that it can't be installed on. Once XP finally dies (it seems it may even outlive cockroaches in a nuclear war), then we can see just how popular IE 9 really is.

As far as Safari, I'm going to make myself a test sandbox and give it another go.

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I think we're talking Win 8 and IE 10 by then, which isn't too far off.

18. Daveski17

I believe 'sweX' is using Safari on XP. Maybe it runs really well on XP. As for IE 9, it runs fine on my Win 7 desktop, but I can't run it on my Vista notebook & I have met people who have had the same problems as me with it on Vista. It could be that this is a factor in the overall use stats of IE 9 (before anyone says, I know many have no problems with IE 9 on Vista).

I can run Safari, but I have Iron & Firefox 6.1. Both run superbly & have all the extensions & customisability I could possibly want in one lifetime. What more could I ask for?

Oh no ... I've turned into a fanboy ... o_O ;)

19. Daveski17

I'm not so sure about nuclear war ...

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You know, that's a really good point. IE 9 may never get a chance to really shine...unless MS does something very stupid and makes IE 10 require Windows 8. Looking back, they really should have let XP use IE 9. They knew how much of a fight it was to get people off of XP in the first place.

Edit: Regarding Safari, using it now it's a rather decent browser. But there are issues such as the function for adding buttons to the toolbar not working. As far as speed, it's really not that bad, and AdBlock works beautifully on it. Entering text is slow when viewing media files. I had that same issue with FF up until v7 though.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

All this is academic for me because I'm on the Ubuntu treadmill now and won't have the pleasure of experiencing IE 9, 10, or whatever. I'll leave the cockroaches and nuclear holocaust behind :D (I hope)

22. Daveski17

I think I will be joining you in Ubuntuville (or is it Planet Ubuntu?) one day in the not too distant future. I'm definitely going to leave the cockroaches behind ...

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I would if they'd (and Linux in general) get these ATI issues worked out. Most distros will get to the splash screen for me and either never go further, or take multiple reboots to start. Also, Flash on Linux is godawful.

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Could you explain, perhaps in the Unix section?

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think it just has to do with my card, Vasa (HD5570). Some cards just aren't supported/fully supported yet. I've had hardware trouble with Linux for years, which is why I've never stayed with it. I might make a thread about the card. Flash seems to be a well known thing with Linux though, and sadly I need Flash almost daily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.