Chrome 13 Dominates Windows 7 Browser Comparison, Bows To Safari On OS X

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

http://www.chromeadvisor.com/2011/0...-7-browser-comparison-bows-to-safari-on-os-x/

Apparently a bunch of browser topics are getting locked? So let's keep it clean...

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Does anyone know why the (WebKit based) Safari doesn't work particularly well running on Windows? If you do, could you tell the guys at Apple? ;)

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Safari on Windows seems to be an afterthought for Apple, and with good reason really. I don't want to be Captain Obvious here, but Jobs and company are far more concerned with their own OS ;) This, of course, is my opinion. As to the article linked by Elapsed, I'll hold off comment until after I've read it.

5. Hungry Man

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with their final judgement, going by their own analysis tables. Then again, the importance of each section is going to vary by the individual, imho. As to why browser topics get locked, it's not too hard to see.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I've always been curious about Opera. I might give it a try one of these days.

8. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I liked it when I tried it about a month ago, I'm just annoyed they still don't have drag and drop available :mad:

9. Hungry Man

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=306459

That was a really interesting topic and there weren't any users trolling or whatever.

And I've tried Opera a few times. My issues are:
    1) Site incompatibilities with sites that I frequently use.
    2) Worst security of any browser.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Maybe because we provoke each other in a totally non-productive manner by comments like "2)" above.

11. Hungry Man

It's productive if you discuss it.

In the objective measure showing browsers outright blocking malware we have Opera at the bottom. In terms of security features we have Chrome and IE9 dominating at the top. At this point we see Chrome and IE9 at the top, Firefox and Opera below. What separates Firefox and Opera? Well I would put Firefox ahead because it's open source.

But you're welcome to refute any of those statements.

Or better yet lock the topic before *gasp* a discussion is had.

12. guest

guest Guest

Some mod probably made an error of judgement there (which is normal, they are humans after all).

Report it to other mods/admins.

13. Hungry Man

Too lazy =p

14. 1chaoticadult

Lets go lazy bones :p :D

15. Hungry Man

someone else can >_>

16. 1chaoticadult

Ahh ok, no pressure... :D

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  17. Hungry Man

Haha, no it's not a big deal. I was just saying that browser topics seem to be getting closed... so people should keep it calm in here >_> no taking things personally or whatever.

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm fairly sure that was shut down because there are already several threads regarding the recent Mozilla changes and the "impending doom" of Firefox. It's just beating a dead horse, in my opinion.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What a surprise :rolleyes:.

Mac OS X and Safari still wins the bloat contest though.

20. Hungry Man

I haven't seen that link posted anywhere else on here - the other topic was locked anyways.

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No, it wasn't that the link was posted again, it was just that probably it would have turned into another "What the hell is Mozilla doing?!" fest, and there's plenty of that as it is. That's just my assumption, though probably a correct one. Regardless, it's a done deal, so let's stick with Chrome before this one suffers the same fate.

22. Hungry Man

Eh, alright. But if there were only 3 main security products you know people would be having the same discussions.

Anyways, I assume the HTML5 scores will go up when Chrome supports it haha naturally it scored a 0 because GPU accelerated HTML5 isn' in Chrome 13.

23. Daveski17

Which is sort of my point. I've used Safari on a Mac & it is fast, reliable & has some great features/extensions etc. If I had a pound coin for every time it has frozen or gone all 'Safari Has Stopped Working' in Windows, in the old Coleman's Mustard tin I often keep loose change in, I could go out & buy a Macbook in cash!

AFAIK it is WebKit-based, like Chrome/Iron yet it just doesn't have the performance on Windows of those browsers. If it did, it would be a great advert for Apple. How many people, such as myself for example, who are pondering on whether to change to Mac (for my next laptop anyway) would be more persuaded if Safari (which is quite an innovative browser in many ways) worked really well on Windows?

A lot of Mac users are also using Iron as well. I've never used it on a Mac myself though. I asked the question about Safari's rapidly gaining popularity on an earlier thread. What confused me was that Safari just isn't that good running on Windows, which is a shame as I think that if they could fix this issue it would be a very serious contender. It is superior to Opera in a lot of respects, & apart from Safari's overall performance issues on Windows (predominantly freezing/stopping in my experience), its extensions & overall web compatibility & stability are superior. In fact, I'd rather use it than use IE (or Opera).

Perhaps you're right & Apple are not really that bothered, but I think they are missing an opportunity here. Maybe it is just a bit heavy for running on Windows & is more suited to Nix-like systems. It would be interesting to see a Linux version of Safari, just to compare it, but that's unlikely of course.

Either way, Chrome's popularity on Mac or Windows isn't difficult to figure out, it's simple, stable, fast, reliable, customisable & free! ;)

24. Daveski17

If you are referring to my first reply, I would genuinely like to know why Safari just doesn't run well in Windows. It is a good browser & works really well on Macs. I would be interested in hearing a theory anyway. Maybe Safari is a little bloaty for Windows? What really puzzles me is that WebKit based browsers such as Chrome, Iron & even Maxthon (which also has Trident) work so well on Windows & Safari doesn't.

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

No. I didn't have your post in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.