Check out the latest ratings for spyware....AntiSpyware Test January 3, 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Congrats to Bitdefender, Nod and Kaspersky. Go here

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Re: Check out the latest ratings for spyware.

How reliable is this test?

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Sound a little strange to me.
    Antivir PE better than many dedicated AS apps?

5. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Maybe because the test subjects were almost predominentlly worms/Virii .

You would expect AV's to do better at this target group ;)

I think the authors have deliberatley missed that out of there test reporting apart from mention of *HoneyNet* as source of the test samples.

6. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I showed these test results to my next door neighbor's grade 6 son, who has an elementary school's logic training. His simple reply was "how could that be?". I do not blame him for this sad-toned answer. Let me show you 2 examples; Bitdefender IS, and KIS. who's scores are 94.87% and 88.86% respectively. While their ranking in previous test(Nov.21.06) are 13.87% and 18.25% . Within very short 6 weeks, their performances have remarkably increased so much so. Let me wonder Have they consumed somesort of cyber-Virag--- (high performance tonic). This flaw leads me to suspect two things; either the credibility of test or the stability of app are at cross road.:D

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I would have expected av's to do badly as it was supposedly an antispyware test. But then again i know nothing, thats all i do know :)

9. TNT

TNT Registered Member

No. It states CLEARLY that this was a DETECTION rate, the other one a REMOVAL rate. The difference is HUGE, and AVs are notoriously flawed at removing spyware.

I'm not arguing about the validity this test. I'm not even saying it should be taken seriously... (I simply don't put much trust in tests unless I conduct them). But you can't say the test is not valid bringing up a flawed argument like that.

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: If a security app can DETECT malwares ,but due to handicap of somesort, cannot REMOVE them. How GOOD are these apps? For the SHOW and TELL only? useless, to say the least. These tests are not even worth the cyber-paper they are tpyed on. Just my one $ madness.:mad:

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Malware detected = Malware that can´t infect you.
    Malware removal: Link

12. TNT

TNT Registered Member

What? If an AV can detect malware before it infects you, you're not getting infected in the first place.

If a malware has already infected the machine, it might even be IMPOSSIBLE to remove (although most are not). So I don't know what you're saying here.

Did you really believe that AV/AS applications can remove every malware components they detect? Hello? Forums and newsgroups are full of people asking for help because their AV detected a malware, but is not able to remove it (or says it removed it, but comes back almost right away).

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: First, allow me to show my full respect to all the AV/AS developers, you guys have done your very best to provide today's cyber users few layers of protections and some peace of mind. But, after not long time of cyber experiences, I am gradually convinced that you guys are carrying out a mission of impossibles; you just can not root out malwares completely; somehow, sometimes, malwares will sneak thru and can not be removed or even worse-get user infected. That is way I have taken a different route to protect myself. namely, using sandbox/vertualization app to insulate my baby from any possible infections. And I can pay a glance at any AV/AS test report each time it becomes avaiable and send it to shredder, done with it. Just my peso sense. No offense. Have a nice day.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Actually, I wouldn´t be surprised that this test is more accurate than you all think, it makes sense to me that the big AV companies are doing a better job of detecting spyware and malware in general, even better than all the new kids on the block like SuperAntiSpyware and Spyware Terminator. But detection rates of Win Defender and Counterspy are shocking of course. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  15. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

The samples they used were more viral in nature on this test - that's why the AV companies scored higher.

As for Malware-Test.com.....

Importance of Testing Methodology
    http://superantispyware.blogspot.com/2006/09/importance-of-testing-methodology.html

Malware Testing Incentives
    http://superantispyware.blogspot.com/2006/10/what-are-incentives-for-malwarespyware.html

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

And that no doubt will continue to be the case. The "BEST" in one area such as heuristics doesn't always mean or guarantee a sure capture of a new malware release. All the top players in both specialties, AS/AV's, volley up and down in testings from one quarter/half of the year to another, or so it seems.

Still, tests serve their purpose. Each group in my opinion take great pains & effort to excell in their chosen field, AS/AV/Rootkit Detection etc.
    Some vendors make the decision to incorporate into their product more than just the field their best at and that might be a noble effort but is it really necessary given the wide range of other competitive and dependable vendors who make the grade just fine in what they offer the end user for security.

I'm not one given to favor a security suite nor likely ever would be but believe it's in the best interest of everyone to apply various independent products according to their expertise and track record for best confidence.

17. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

:thumb: Thanks for the links. Thanks for your contribution to fighting spyware. I does give me much satisfaction to assist in some small way unknown computer users all over with my experiences and some knowledge. And of course I learn from the real Pros as well. :)

18. Cstrike dish

Cstrike dish Registered Member

Re: Check out the latest ratings for spyware.

i wonder!

19. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Then I still think it´s quite strange that AntiVir and Norton IS 2007 did so badly? :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.