CD drive problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ice60, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ice60

ice60 Guest

hi, i have finally got a few live Linux versions, i had a quick look at them off the internet the other day on another PC and couldn't wait to try them out on the www.

when i got home and i tried to boot from CD, it gets to the point of "boot CD :" just after POST, then it doesn't boot from the CD, waits abit, and goes to the next drive in the boot order, the HDD, so just boots into XP.

when it first happened i went into the BIOS to change the boot order from Floppy, CD then HDD to CD, CD and HDD but it made no difference. i haven't been back into the BIOS to see if it's seeing the CD drive, i'll do that next. i do know that there is power. i haven't heard any out-of-the-ordinary sounds at boot, and i think the CD lights flash, at boot, normally

if i put a CD in when it has finished booting, it makes a very half-hearted effort to start spinning up, but stops almost immediately, then there are afew very quiet clicks, then it trys to spin up again etc etc

i have taken the case off and had a look. the IDE is alright, so is the power lead. there's also a little thin cable that plugs in at the other end of the motherboard, near the extra PCI slots, on the CD drive it plugs into the other side of the IDE and power leads. i'm not show what that is, do you know? also i didn't have enough light to see the jumper settings, but, as it all worked when i last used it i don't think it's a cable issue.

so, i have power, the cables are in place, there are no odd BIOS bootup noises. i will still check the BIOS to see if it can see the CD drive. if that all works out it must be a hardware problem? is that correct? thanks, all the help i can get will be brilliant. thank you :)

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

This is an audio cable. It's connectivity does not affect the functionality of the drive in any way. It's sole purpose, and seldom used, is to provide audio output for the CD drive if you were using it as a CD player.

Have you been able to boot from a CD before?

3. ice60

ice60 Guest

thanks CH

yes, it has always worked. do you think it's a hardware problem?

i still haven't checked the BIOS to see if it can see it yet. i might check now, i think it will see it though :(

4. Close_Hauled

Can you explore the entire directory structure on the CD with Windows?

When was the last time that you updated the system BIOS?

The first thing that I would try is looking at the CD-ROM manufacturers web site for a flash update. If you can see the drive with Windows, then you should be able to flash the drive.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

is this going to get complicated, i think i have to go out somewhere. it is seen in the BIOS and i think i can explore the directory structure o_O
    here's a picture below :D

i have never flashed the BIOS i'm too scared to do it

i just checked the driver date for the CD and it's 2001 :D and they're MS drivers

so what would you do first? is HL-DT-ST a manufacturer?

this is the page Everest took me to
    http://www.lge.com/catalog/prodsubc...Id=&categoryId=CTG1000500&parentId=CTG1000439

here are some facts about the drive:
    Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/1510/cd0lc.th.jpg

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i can't find a driver update for it anywhere . i think i might try WU. i really am going to go out though. i'll let you know if i get it working again :)

7. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Are you saying that the same cd booted fine on your buddy's pc, but not on yours?

8. Close_Hauled

Here is the site for your drive:

http://uk.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.d...ay=GDR8161B&unit=NOTHING&model=Select a model

I can't find any flash updates either.

Microsoft will provide the updated drivers. If you run Windows Update and look in the hardware section, it would be there if you need it.

I would try booting from a factory pressed bootable CD, like your Windows installation CD. If it cannot boot, then yes, you have a hardware issue. The last thing that I would try is a BIOS update for the motherboard.

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yeah, doesn't sound very good, does it? i'll have a think and maybe use a program to see what i installed or what changes, if any, i made before i went away. i was away for 2 weeks, and i'm sure it worked perfectly before i left :(

thanks, that's it :)

i'll go through the process of WU and goto the hardware section to see if it helps. and i've got some links about BIOS, i think i can backup the ones i have at the moment, which will make me feel better :)

i tried another bootable CD and it doesn't work. i have also tried putting a CD into the drive after everything has booted and nothing happens, well it tried to autostart but couldn't; i clicked on D drive and it said put disk in drive :( i just tried it again with the same result, but this time everything hung for about 10 seconds. i needed a new D drive anyway, this one couldn't burn, it could only read.

[rant]my Dad has alot of spare PCs at his work and i asked for one, or at least if i could take just the DVD recorder and a HHD, but he said he'd have to ask someone who works on the PCs. i told him i'd already asked, which i had, and they said it was no problem at all,"help yourself", but he wouldn't do it. still it wasn't a surprise to me that he wouldn't do it. i've never met someone so tight in all my life. i won't tell you how much money he gave me for running the company while he was away :eek: :mad:[/end of rant]

10. Close_Hauled

Ice,

If you have to replace the drive, I highly recommend Plextor:

http://www.plextor-europe.com/

I have been specifying and using them for years. I cannot recall the last time one broke down. They are a little more expensive, but the driver and firmware support is outstanding.

Close

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks CH [​IMG] i'll see how much money i have then pick either that one, one from my Dad or the one from here
    thanks for all the help :)

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

CH, do most of them, Plextor, write to all/both(?) DVD formats? i'll have to pick one then ask, i think.

13. Close_Hauled

Here are the specifications for the Plextor PX-740A in Europe:

http://www.plextor-europe.com/products/px-740a.asp?choice=PX-740A

And the PX-716A:

http://www.plextor-europe.com/products/px-716a.asp?choice=PX-716A

Here is the specs for the Sony DRU-810A:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...urners&ProductSKU=DRU810A&TabName=specs&var2=

I have used both of these manufacturers. My laptop has 2 Sony drives, one internal (CD burner), the other external (DRX-710UL DVD burner).

I have specified the Sony drives in the past as well. I have had no problem with either manufacturer.

The Sony ship with Nero, which took me a while to get used to, since I used Roxio for so long. But now I use either with no problems.

I think that you will find that both write to just about any media

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Close. i think i'd rather have a new D drive instead of second hand. i've made a note of this thread and will use it in the future. thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.