CCleaner

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ajcstr, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

Question - I used ccleaner to delete temp files and temporary internet files. I had the 1 pass secure wipe option enabled. Then I used R-Wipe and it came up with the same list (didn't compare line by line, but I thought I would not see anything). So did ccleaner not delete them of is this user error?

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

R-wipe is more thorough. But if you are talking about the side panel list, that always comes up. And each cleaner picks up a little remnant that the others leave behind.

Try this. Download Sweepi. http://sweepi.yooapps.com/?c=produkte/sweepi5&l=E It gives you the option to overwrite. Make sure you choose that. Then also choose "Complete Cleanup" in the drop down screen in the right upper corner. Then run Ccleaner. It picks up a few more remnants. I do this often and it makes my computer run a lot better.

If you use Returnil and have it set to wipe the dat file that it leaves, then you don't have to be as concerned about cleaning.

3. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

RE: Sweepi... I am slightly concerned that this product hasn't been updated since 2007-05-28 17:07:57.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

How come? Cleaning Temp Files, DAT files and overwriting is the same process today as it was in 2007. Ajcstr, please be careful with these programs, running too many wipe programs and cleaning too much can actually do more harm than good. CCLeaner is a relatively mild program that I've not had problems with, but it still is not wise to go nuts with it. if you're running into issues where you run one cleaner and then run another that lists a bit more to cleanup than it should, especially with registry entries, you might be dealing with a "snake oil" program.

Caspian is right though, no cleaner picks up every trace. But running a cleanup with program number 1, and program number 2 telling you there is quite a bit more left to clean, is a sign of program number 2 possibly being a not so good program.

5. caspian

I didn't realize that but I can tell you that the first time I tried it, as a test that some guys here were doing, I ran Rwipe and ccleaner first before I tried it out. It picked up about 60MB of extra stuff. I think maybe mostlt thumbs.db

And I will tell you that when I run Sweepi and then Ccleaner, my computer sometimes speeds up really fast. It's like a barely click and my screeen jumps. I love it.

6. caspian

I agree with that. Especially those registry cleaners. I run the Registry cleaner in Ccleaner and Advanced Windows Care and that's it. I am not knowledgeable enough to do any more and I have had to reinstall my OS more than once after messing around. But I run sweepi and Ccleaner all the time and it's perfect. I run R-Wipe occasionally.

7. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

To properly delete some of those files, you NEED to Reboot.

Try again, then see if you find anything !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.