Cause for bad font rendering in Chrome?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ght1, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ght1

ght1 Guest

Does someone know why that is, and if something can be done about it?

Thank you.

1) Chrome
    2) Firefox

Attached Files:

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

if you are using Linux install the microsoft corefonts and Ubuntu fonts if they are not already installed.

don't know what could be done on Windows.

maybe you could get into the browser settings/options and change the default fonts that's being used.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I have weird font issues too, but for me it's in Safari (Win version) and when I go to example http://www.anandtech.com/ everything on that page looks like idk Arabic or similar and I can't use that page anymore because of it. It started around 3 months ago, but why is the question :)

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I can't tell you that SweX, I know Safari isn't supported for Windows any more. The only WebKit (non-Chromium) based browser I can recommend that is similar to Safari is Maxthon 4. I have checked your link in Maxthon & it looks fine to me. I have had no bad font renderings in Chrome. I could only assume it may be some extension clash.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yeah I know, but I have decided that I will stay with Safari as long as I can until it simply no longer works, I have tried other WebKit browser but no it doesn't work, I want my Safari :D

I don't use any extentions if by extention you mean add-on ? Safari is rather clean and naked :)

And Adobe Flash Player is the only thing that has been updated that actually has a connection to Safari. But as I said that is the only site that I got problems with. Though I guess that I can always use IE 8 when I want to access Anandtech :argh:

6. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Chrome does not use DirectWrite, whereas Firefox does. Not much can be done until Chrome supports it.

7. Daveski17

All I can say is that Maxthon is the nearest thing that I can think of that is closest to Safari. It even once had a skin that made it look like Safari on a Mac.

I was thinking more of the Chrome problem. I've never thought that Chrome's extensions were always that good & often created clashes for me. I only use ABP & a reader on Chrome now.

I have no explanation for why that site renders badly for you in Safari. Sorry.

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I believe you mate, we'll see when Safari no longer works ;)
    I see, FYI I have never used any add-on/extention on any browser I have used through the years, ever. :D
    Me neither, but I got IE 8 that usually only get used for banking sessions, but now I have to use it for one more thing unfortunately. :p

9. Daveski17

It will be interesting to see when that actually happens.

Not even an adblocker? :eek:

You have my commiserations.

10. ght1

ght1 Guest

Will Chrome support DirectWrite soon? Does Internet Explorer use DirectWrite? :)

Apart from that I really like Chrome ...

11. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

According to this post from a Chromium developer, there are plans to do so. Yes, IE takes advantage of DirectWrite.

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hopefully.......NEVER :p
    No, not even an adblocker. But I can tell you, before when Flash P was little and skinny everything went smooth. But now when Flash P is bigger and more resource hungry the Ads that is Flash based is really bogging down the whole website due to how badly optimized the recent versions of Flash P has been. So soon an adblocker might become something that you simply must have to be able to browse websites that has a lot of Flash content :argh:
    Thank you :D

13. Daveski17

Flash ads & widgets on websites these days have made some pages almost unloadable. This is also a good reason to use NoScript on Firefox. Stylish has some good scripts to 'decrapify' some pages as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.