Careful how you vote on this....

Discussion in 'polls' started by Checkout, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Trick question?

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

both statements are true.

The webmaster can have em if he likes, I will block them.

I will change the channel on my TV during a commercial too (or just mute it) unless it is a Moslon-Canadian beer commercial (they are tooooo funny!). We look forward to new commercials from them.

3. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

yup uni is right lol in all ways so i couldnt vote=)

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yeah I'm glad Uni posted before I read this hehe makes perfect sense, cause of course they have a right to host advertising, but then not when they use malicious forms... I too will block any that I can  :cool:

5. zappa

zappa Registered Member

I'm with UNICRON.

6. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I agree that both statements are true, but if I have to choose one or the other, I reserve the right!!!

Regards,
    Kent

7. Checkout

So, what if advertising revenue dries up?  Many worthy sites (such as security sites) will close.

Should we not support what are effectively charities?  Could we accept M$ charging more for their products and services when their advertsising income disappears?

Our we shooting ourselves in the foot when we block ads?

8. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

we are a very insignificant percentage of total internet users. The masses get all the ads. No harm done.

If a site sells products, that will pay for the site. If they sell a service, that will pay for the site. If they are non-profit like this one, donations will be needed. People pay good coin for an ad-blocker when they could have paid the sites they like so they don't need ads.

All other sites that nobody deems worthy will die. Bandwidth will get cheaper.

Homepages that you get with your internet connection are already paid for, so they stay.

I am just tired of ads, I paid $9.25 canadian to see Star Wars II. I got to watch 10 minutes of commercials IN THE THEATER anyway! This is bullsh!t, companies use ads for extra revenue even if they don't need it.

If a product cannot sell itself, then it should die. Obviously no one wants it. If this site couldn't find enough people to support it, it would have to scale back its services. This is common business practice.

9. snowman

snowman Guest

not being a member I will not vote...however may I offer a comment please.

we have long been paying for the internet.....much..much more than ever was necessary...just look at the net profits of lets say doubleclick.....the ads greatly profited only the few not that mass........websites sold their souls for pennies while the spies made billions.
        ads are not intheirselfs bad....just a means of marketing......an it got out of control because of greed.
    further bringing what will be the eventual downfall of ads are the spieing...tracking...selling of personal info....an down will go the websites that have supported such spieing.....the sooner the better.
        the industry has failed to supervise itself....an has brought the contempt of the very people it needs to survive.......now in desperation the industry would have consumers believe that the internet wont survive as a free service........double bullsh!t.....an when the time arrives..an it will...when a money charge will try to be levy.......remember the spies...they totally took advantage of the internet and people.....drowned us  with spy ads...cookies...etc.......its because of the spies that many people can stand ads......so let the industry clean up its own mess....are the the industry as a whole pay for the spys.      
                                         snowman

10. Checkout

Snowman, you could be a member (without registering) if you want to be.  Just say that you're interested and I'll tell you how.

11. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Just click on this banner ad of mine.....

12. Checkout

Not until you give me back my IP!

Actually, if web advertising died, would that mean the $$$ would go back into television?

13. snowman

snowman Guest

Checkout

most assuredly I am interested.....right now it looks like I'll be going into the hospital.....will know in a few hours.....one way or the other......so please....may I get back to you on this?    the cookie..is the hold-up

Unicron....LOL... what banner....there is no banner  LOL.....hey...remember the topic..LOL   no ads

14. snowman

snowman Guest

Checkout

imo net advertising will never die.....for numerous reasons.....financial research shows more money being spent to find new way to spy.....not ads die.  
         in the US..has anyone noticed that there are more ads on tv lately.....well there is....more time being allotted for ads.......the same thing was tryed nearly 25 years ago...had to be settled in court...

15. Checkout

No problem.  We'll just need to be online at the same time to set it up.

16. snowman

snowman Guest

Checkout

thank you sincerely...I most appreciate.....
    that darn food poisoning nearly took me out....having problems breathing.....plus other complications....the doctor is having a fit because I refuse to go to the hospital......

17. Checkout

Snowman...for pity's sake!  Would you rather see a priest?  Do what the man says.

18. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

I fully agree. For goodness sake, snowman, you really should!

regards.

paul

19. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Ads don't bother me much. If I'm on an interesting site with ads, I'll click them and let them load in the next tab while I read the page.
    Popups/popunders and dhtml monstrosities on the other hand, those are filtered. Popups are just obscene and they're driving people who otherwise wouldn't bother to install adblockers.
    FYI, I think this board doesn't like Mozilla. It never lets me vote. :(

20. root

root Registered Member

I really don't think we have to worry about advertising dollars drying up. I'm beginning to believe it is advertising that will eventually run the world and determine what we do every day.
    (I'm a sci-fi freak)

21. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

amen to that brother. MS spends 1 frickin billion promoting the x-box and people are worried about advertising going out of style lol.

22. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

An essential part of freedom is the ability, the power and right to say, "NO" and make it stick. I have some radical ideas about advertising, but before I get into that...I remember a study conducted at Stanford University back in the 60's. They discovered that 75% of people will do as they are told. That kind of expirement is totally illegal to conduct now, but it's a real eye opener :eek: 25% of people will make their own decisions. The whole principle of our current advertising is to tell you what to buy. Repeating the message acts like mental programming. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ...as for my radical ideas, big advertisers often sponsor some kind of cultural activity. Much of their investment is tax deductible. What if the smaller advertisers were to group together to provide a benefit to their communities while still getting people to notice them? It would beat the crap out of all the spam we get and they wouldn't get turned off so much. Seeking mutually beneficial solutions to problems is part of my regular job.

23. Checkout

Sounds like an interesting job.  Can I apply?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.