Can't update SB

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Sailbad the Sinner, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sailbad the Sinner

Sailbad the Sinner Registered Member

I too have not been able to update my Spyware Blaster and I get the same error message about
    the server being unavailable or a conflict with a firewall that others have reported. However, my problem started when my ISP upgraded the security to their filtered service and now requires authentication, something that more ISP's are starting to do. That is, whenever I open a new browser window, I get a box asking for my user name and password. All of my other apps connect and update fine (ie.) Panda antivirus autoupdate, AdAware, WebWasher, my 2 online bank accounts, etc.
    The ISP does use a proxy server on port 80, so I have tried all three connection options in the settings area, with no luck. I'm running Win98SE and Panda AV Platinum with the firewall. My database is dated 12/7/03. Everything worked fine up till then. I contacted the ISP and they worked on it for 2 days with no solution. I suspect that the updating problem is related to some kind of security issue or requirement and that the SB update program is not recognizing the authentication request. No, I don't have a solution, but thought I might throw this into the mix and suggest another avenue of thought. Sound plausible?, or does anyone have a work around? What else can I tell you?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Just to be sure of one thing... There are three connection options and you say above you've tried them all, but I just want to make sure you've also tried the "Use alternative download method". If you notice, that is not a forth option, it augments the selected option, so it may well be worth trying if you haven't.

To be honest, I don't fully understand the authenication mechanism you are describing... I'm guessing it is a login to the proxy server at your ISP. Without logging in, it blocks all you data. So, I'm not sure why all the other updaters are working and SB is not. Are there places in all those other updaters for username and password entries or are they somehow working off your browser sessions?

3. Sailbad the Sinner

Sailbad the Sinner Registered Member

I have not tried the alternative method. I would appreciate any guidence in its use that you could give. The other apps are all working off of the open browser connection. SB also worked this way until the upgrade. Generally, when I open a new browser window or connection, a window pops up that asks for verification of the user name and password to the filtering web server. It would make sense from what I have observed that when SB wants to dowload it would trigger the pop up by trying to connect to the dowload server in essence creating another window. It seems that SB does not know how to bring up the pop up or to confirm as the other apps do.

Just tried the alternative method, I think! I checked the alternative method box and tried to update using the defult connection with no luck. Then I checked the proxy box, filled in the info, and checked the alternative box. Still no luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.