Can't Turn Off Virtual Mode or Uninstall RSS

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by philby, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philby

philby Registered Member

Mike, if you're around, I really need some help PDQ.

I've had RSS 2011 Free on a machine (Vista SP2) for a long, long time without hitch. The machine is almost never turned off - virtual mode boots with Windows and has been manually turned off/on countless times to maintain s/w..

Today, I went to turn off VM in order to uninstall some s/w - but I simply can't do it.

If I open the GUI, I get the window below which prevents me from accessing the GUI. If I click cancel, I get the Mount / Dismount Real Partition Dialogue like at shutdown and the GUI closes.

I've tried to uninstall RSS but can't, of course in either normal mode (need to turn off VM first, but can't) or in safe mode (Win Installer won't run).

Are you able to PM me a free version license, so that I can input it into this window?

Or, is there a way I can kill RSS VM in order to remove RSS temporarily? As expected, killing the RSS core service via services does not help...so I would need a way around RSS's self-protection.

Capture.JPG

Thanks in advance Mike - this is a 'production' machine, so am in dire straits... :(

philby

2. philby

philby Registered Member

OK - problem solved. I typed some random characters into the license field and that was enough for me to get in to the GUI !?

Very odd.....

Why would this happen?

philby

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

What you put into that field is assumed to be a license number until that content is checked at the server and the software will wait for an answer and default to a free version until updated. As the string you entered was gibberish, the server simply looked at the string and the reported Install ID then renewed the free licensing as expected.

Mike

4. philby

philby Registered Member

OK, thanks Mike - I've re-installed RSS now and can access the GUI fine.

However, when I go to register the free version, I get the 'registration pending' note bottom left of GUI, then I get an Inbox message saying:

'Policy: 'Free Edition for home use only' Associated license assignment expiration date Oct 3 2012 is already passed.'

But I am then left with 'Unregistered Free Version' at bottom left of GUI.

Does this mean I have successfully registered the free version... or not?

I'm just worried I'll get that GUI lock-out again...

Thanks

philby

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

If it doesn't clear to say registered free version send me a PM with your install ID and will check the server. Also note that there might be a slight delay in replies from the server due to heavy traffic in the outgoing queue.

Mike

6. philby

philby Registered Member

OK - will check it in the morning - thank you.

philby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.