Can't P2V using Go Virtual or Virtualization Manager 9.5

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by oneeyed, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneeyed

oneeyed Registered Member

Hello,

I am trying to virtualize my current Windows XP SP3 system so that I can install Windows 7. I have tried both Virtualization Manager 9.5 and also Go Virtual without success.

My system specs are:

Dell Precision M6400 laptop
    Intel Core 2 Extreme X9100 3GHz CPU
    4GB RAM (only using 3.5GB as it's 32-bit XP)
    46GB in 100GB system partition
    Trying to save to external 1TB hard drive using eSATA

In both programs everything appears to start fine and then, somewhere between 33% and (furthest it ever got) 47% all activity stops and, even though I can still click on 'Cancel' the computer is pretty much locked up and I have to power off. After turning the power back on I will have a partial file written to the external drive but it's useless.

I have tried turning off Anti-Virus, disabling unneeded services, turning off power management and still no luck.

Is there anything else that I should/could be doing or are these not to right tools for me?

Thanks in advance.

2. oneeyed

oneeyed Registered Member

Just an update. I tried doing this again using Virtualization Manager 9.5 but connecting to my external drive using USB instead of the eSATA cable and it worked fine. Seems strange but it works fine.

Hopefully this can help someone in the future.

3. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

It sounds like there was a connectivity problem with your eSATA port/connection, which most likely intermittently disconnected during the process.

I suggest checking the drive policy from Windows disk management and being sure to enable write-caching. This should alleviate any intermittent problems writing to the disk.

Also, if the external drive requires an extra power supply, be sure it is plugged in to a UPS or surge protector, as power fluctuations can cause intermittent connectivity problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.