Can't open Excel spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by michael_in_atlanta, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael_in_atlanta

michael_in_atlanta Registered Member

I'm trying to open an older version of an Excel spreadsheet out of an Acronis incremental backup file. While I can open documents from this date in Word, when I try to open an .xls file I get an Excel error message "Can't save [filename.xls] because the volume is locked". This happens with whatever xls file from that date that I try. I never lock my spreadsheets, and I'm not trying to save the file. Is this something that Excel does automatically, and what can I do about it so I can access the file?

Thanks

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Try copying the XLS file to your hard drive somewhere.

3. michael_in_atlanta

michael_in_atlanta Registered Member

That did it! Perhaps I should have read the Acronis documentation more thoroughly (?)

Thanks for your help.

4. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Probably wouldn't make much difference. The Excel behavior is to create a temporary copy of the spreadsheet in the same directory as the original. Since the TrueImage filesystem is read-only, new files can't be created in it and Excel gives you an error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.