Can't download and install lastest security updates

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Compgal, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compgal

Compgal Registered Member

Whenever I go to the Windows Update site to try and install the latest security updates, I get a message that says I must be logged in as the administrator, only I am logged in as the administrator. So, I go to run as and sign in as the owner. Still a no go. Any suggestions?

2. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

I had posted in your first thread asking about your acticeX settings....most likely you didn't see the post

Compgal....windows update will also show that message if you have activeX and cookies disabled in the internet zone....stored cookies enable may get you in plus activeX....so check your Zone settings....after updating you can put the settings back as you had them..if in fact thats the problem

3. Compgal

Compgal Registered Member

Hmm, no matter where I set my active x settings under the security tab, I'm still getting the popup warning.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have a little app called safexp, and when I tried to update windows I got a similar message. Anyway I had to open safexp an un check block windows update. I had forgotten that I had blocked auto updates and I must have checked block windows updates by mistake. If you have an app that has the capability to block updates make sure the it is not blocking you.

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi compgal, in those settings re ActiveX/Cookies... did you also check Scripting. It needs JS to run. Maybe you have those *disabled*.

Just a guess :D

Cheers, TAS

PS: You did say you were logged in as Admin... Did you try to empty your Cache/TIFs, sometimes something in there 'locks' the page you are trying to get to.

Delete those, REBOOT, making sure you are coming back as Admin.

6. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi compgal,

I did a search and came up with this link that might be of some help.

http://www.jsiinc.com/subk/tip5100/rh5142.htm

If it looks like this may solve your problem, make sure you back up your registry first (a Restore Point will do if you are using XP) since the instructions there at that site involve going into the Registry.
    http://updatexp.com/0x800A138F.html
    Here is another helpful site where you may find some helpful information and can try some simpliar steps first, like checking your HOSTS file, etc.:

Let us know how it works out.

Regards,

snap

url's repaired==bigc

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.