Can't convert from basic to dynamic after resize

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by ServerDude, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServerDude

ServerDude Registered Member

I've used Paragon Partition Manager 10.0 Server to resize the main C: and D: partitions on an 80gb drive in one of our servers.

This drive was mirrored so Partition Manager had to convert it from Dynamic to Basic then do the resize - all worked fine.

Now I want to re-enable mirroring but I can't convert the drive from Basic to Dynamic.

The Disk Management tool in windows gives me the option to convert but nothing happens after I select it - no message letting me know its complete, no prompt for a restart. I restarted anyhow but my disk is still Basic.

Any idea how I can convert it to Dynamic? Has Partition Manager broken my disk?

Cheers,
    Dean

2. Paragon_Tony

Paragon_Tony Former Paragon Moderator

Hi Dean,

Microsoft requires that you have at least 8MB of free space at the end of your drive to store the dynamic disk data. You cannot convert the drive without this.

If you shrink the last partition on your drive by 8+ MB you should be able to convert and recreate your mirror. When you do the shrink of D, make sure you are increasing the 'Free Space After' field.

3. ServerDude

ServerDude Registered Member

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your help. Your suggestion solved the problem.

Cheers,
    Dean

4. Paragon_Tony

Paragon_Tony Former Paragon Moderator

Hi Dean,

Thanks for confirming. I'm glad I could help!

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.