Can't boot back into 32bit Windows

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Tatersalad, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

I installed DDS9 with the OSS on my system drive with XP Pro and re-booted. The OSS window came up and I booted into my only OS. I used DDS9 in create a 10gb primary partition on my system drive C and installed X64 Pro on that partition and re-booted. I was given a choice between the two by windows not OSS and was able to boot between the operating systems without a problem several times. I installed Office 2000, Firefox, Photoshop and Media Jukebox in x64Pro and re-booted. This time it just booted into x64Pro without an OS choice. I checked in startup and recovery and “time to display list of operating systems” was unchecked so I checked it and was again given a choice but when I chose the 32bit version of Windows I get this.

“Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Please read from the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and you hardware reference manuals for additional information.”

Bugger, I didn’t make a DDS boot disk. I have a TI boot disk and a recent image but no way to get into DDS9 as it doesn’t support x64Pro :mad: In disk management I see all the drive letters are the same and the C drive is still a system drive but the 10gb x64 partition is listed as a boot partition not a primary or active partition. I have the option to change it to a active partition with this warning.

“Changing the active partition on this disk might make the disk not startable if the partition does not have valid system files. Do you want to continue?”

That is the question :D

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

Thank you, I was able to edit my boot ini file to boot back into Win32.
    Have no idea how they got there but removing the “noexecute=optin” from both OS entries did the trick :)

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    ;multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noExecute=OptIn /fastdetect

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tatersalad,

Glad to hear that you have resolved your problem. If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.