Can't Assign Drive Letter in Read/Write Mode

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by n8an, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8an

n8an Registered Member

Hi guys. I'm on the verge of buying True Image Home but I just have 1 thing I'd like to sort out first...:doubt:

When I try to mount an image in Read/Write Mode it fails and I get the message "Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the backup archive". Mounting in Read-Only Mode is fine. I've tried mounting images of both my hard drives and get no joy, and it won't work no matter what hard drive the image is actually saved to. I've also tried to mount the images with different drive letters.

I'm using Windows XP. My primary hard drive is SATA, has 4G used info and contains Windows and a few progs. My secondary hard drive is IDE and contains 218G of used info. Both are 250G.

Am I missing something obvious, or doing the wrong thing...?o_O Hopefully someone can give me some useful info.:)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello n8an,

When you mount an image in Read/Write mode TI actually creates an additional incremental image that will hold any changes that you may or may not make to the mounted image files. It may well be that TI has decided that there isn't enough room on your IDE drive to accommodate an additional incremental to your image of the SATA drive. Likewise, when you saved an image of your IDE drive (containing 218MB of data) to the SATA drive there is probably insuffient free space on the SATA to accommodate the additional incremental. I would guess that a newly formatted 250GB HD would be left with approxiamately 235GB of free space, so the 218GB of used data doesn't leave much headroom in either case.

Regards

3. mrvalj

mrvalj Registered Member

Hello

I have same problem - I can mount image in read mode but not in read/write mode.

I have server with two disks (each 36GB). I create backup (tib file, less than 4GB) of the first disk1 and put it on second disk (33 GB free space). So I think disk space is not a problem.

Probelm is still open and awaiting to be resolved.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello n8an and mrvalj,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please verify the image archive integrity by means of the Validate Backup archive tool.

If the image archive appears to be consistent, please provide a screen shot of the last screen of the Mount Image wizard which contains the operation scenario.

Could you please run "regedit" command (Start -> Run), export the registry keys below and send them to us?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

Could you please clarify what exact version and build number of the software you use? You can find this information in the Main menu->Help->About.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I would expect that the space that matters is that on the drive that contains the .TIB files.

218GB of used data would likely be compressesed by 30%+ in the tib files.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I would expect 218GB of used data on a separate drive to contain mostly multimedia files e.g. video, mpeg, mp3, jpg etc. These are already highly compressed and it's highly unlikely that TI would compress them further. Indeed, TI may well increase their size.

On the other hand, if most of that 218GB of used space contain normal, uncrompressed, applications and data then, yes of course, TI will likely compress it by approx 30%. However, I based my reply on the former (more likely) assumption.

7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Running http://www.standards.com/index.html?GetFileTypeDistribution
    will identify the file types on each drive.

8. John Gallagher

John Gallagher Registered Member

I am having this same problem. Is there an update on this?

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that problems of this sort are usually system-specific (i.e. related to the particular software\hardware configuration) and therefore require an individual investigation for each computer where they appear. We therefore recommend that you follow the instructions provided in this previous posts of mine. We will investigate the problem and try to provide with a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.