Cannot update - Error creating temporary file name

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Lynx, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynx

Lynx Registered Member

I have tried what seems almost everything to fix this problem that I've found on these forums and elsewhere.

Deleted/recreated various temporary update files/folders, made sure I have the correct permissions set-up, multiple clean reinstalls, even tried using the beta build but the problem still persists. The only thing I haven't tried is a full format and reinstall of Windows.

I had been fine updating NOD32 for years and for some reason since the 21st May (the last time it successfully updated), it has refused to do so. Considering I just renewed a for 3 year license a few weeks prior to that, I'm not going to throw the program away for another just yet.

Any other suggestions here? Really hitting a brick wall with this :(

2. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

Just to be clear: when you said, "Deleted/recreated various temporary update files/folders", you mean you deleted the mirror folder, the updfiles folder (both located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET Remote Administrator\Server) and/or the contents of it and tried to re-download the update files again?

Here is an article that might help you in allowing updates through the edge of your network.

Thanks,

Matt

3. Lynx

Lynx Registered Member

Not quite those folders, that exact title doesn't exist but similar named ones do -

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Updfiles

C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Updfiles\temp

I cleared any old files in them before trying to download them again incase they were corrupt but I still get the same error regardless.

Also I've checked that C:\Windows\Temp and other similar folders exist as per other threads here, here and also this one https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=271647

It can't be a firewall issue, it was updating fine less than two weeks ago and I've changed nothing that should affect firewall settings (I'm using COMODO Firewall Pro, even with it off nothing changes).

Also if it helps I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and the NOD32 version is the beta install 5.0.65.0, forgot to say that before.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The best course of action would be to create a Process Monitor log (you can use a filter for ekrn only to minimize the number of log records), reproduce the problem and then check for records with the failure. You should see what folder the updater has problems writing to.

5. Lynx

Lynx Registered Member

Thanks! Using that and the filter, I was able to track down the offending folder and now its updated successfully :)

For some reason now NOD32 wants to use my secondary drive when updating, one I only use for data files (the "missing" folder was D:\Windows\Temp). My Windows installation is on my primary HD, which is labelled C:\ so I would assume it should be using that? Not that it matters much now of course, just seems a bit odd?

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Check your system variables in Advanced system settings -> Environment variables. Most likely the temp variable points to d:\windows\temp

7. Lynx

Lynx Registered Member

Ah yes, that's what was going on. Don't know why it would have changed but probably just one of those random things, rather than it being something malicious.

Guess you can close this thread now, thanks a lot for your help! :D

8. Willodene

Willodene Registered Member

Re: Cannot update - Error creating temporary file

I am also having this problem today with latest ESS - has been working until now with no problems. Tried all the solutions in this post by clearing folders, temp files etc but still no success.
    Have also completely uninstalled & reinstalled.
    How do I turn on the process monitor and filter the EKRN as I was unaware of how to do this?
    Thx
    Willodene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.