Cannot Uninstall Norton Internet Security 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rain_Train, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

Hi, I seem to have hit a huge problem. Earlier today I installed Norton Internet Security 2009, as a trial. I liked it initially, however I seemed to be having a few GUI errors (in another thread, I posted that detection notifications never appeared). I tried everything, but to no avail. So, I decided to do a clean re-install.

Well, I tried uninstalling using the Control Panel. As I type this, it's been over an hour since the uninstaller started up and is saying "Initializing – Please wait...". I downloaded the removal tool and ran that. It froze, and did nothing. I checked the Task Manager, and it was running in the background, but I received no notification at all that Norton was uninstalled. I tried running the removal tool again, but I received another notification that it was already running, when absolutely nothing was happening for several minutes.

I shutdown and then started my computer again with the same situation: both removal tool and normal uninstall seem to go nowhere, and Norton is still happily lounging in my system tray... Needless to say, I'm quite concerned :doubt: . Can anyone help me out?

2. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

You need to shut down all Norton IS processes - if necessary via Task Manager. In addition to that you should 'stop' all Norton services in 'services.msc' and then change their start up type to 'disabled'.
    Now try uninstalling in the normal way.

Why you would want to even try Norton when it has such an abysmal reputation and there are so many better freeware products is a mystery.

3. edd3800

edd3800 Registered Member

I used Revo Uninstaller and the Norton removal tool I had no problems. But be careful with Revo. Also check Norton Community Forums. Check Norton Internet
    Security Beta I think I saw that problem. Good luck

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

You obvously haven't even looked at the 2009 version.

5. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

Solved

Okay, I managed to solve the problem. I booted into Safe Mode, logged in as Administrator, and ran the removal tool. It ran without a hitch, and successfully removed Norton IS 2009. Unfortunately, when I reinstalled, it said my trial ran out – even though I'd installed it just today :'( .

Ah well, rotten luck for me, just one of those days. I'll trial it on my friend's laptop and see how it runs there, then I may consider a purchase. In any case, thanks to all those who replied, I appreciate it :) .

And BTW Coolio10, Norton 2009 is much better than its previous versions: perhaps you may want to consider giving it a trial run – now that you know how to uninstall it :p !

6. denniz

denniz Registered Member

ow plz spare me all this nonsense crap.... :rolleyes:

7. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

SteveE is clearly a Norton basher, who didn't even try the package. Time for him to get a life :)

8. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Some people like Norton and some don't - it's just a fact of life. Doesn't mean they haven't tried the product. I tried the new version and it was just not to my liking, plus I have other reasons for not using Norton that I won't go into.

9. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Best way to take care of bashers is honestly to simply ignore them. :D

10. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Norton bashers are no more wrong than bashers of other products. If you like it, use it, but for me, it hasn't proven itself in multiple areas.

11. Edwin024

Please tell us the areas in the other thread about Norton. But: bashers are NEVER right. You should try something first to be able to say something about a product. And that is not what most bashers do.

12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I've tried the Norton products and chose something else. I'll leave it there - not bashing, but I liked others more. You are saying I HAVE to praise Norton because of what YOU perceive are great attributes?

13. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I agree with you... but who cares? :p

14. StevieE9

No I haven't - why should I?
    Symantec has such a roundly appalling record of home products, and the availability of excellent alternative freeware products makes considering Norton superfluous.
    Let me make a simple analogy - *if* I want a burger I don't go to a 'McDonalds' or a 'BurgerKing' so why should I change a sensible habit and consider purchasing their equivalents in the security software market?:rolleyes:

15. StevieE9

Virtually everyone of us who has ever bought a branded computer has tried them - that is why McAfee and Norton have such a deservedly bad name.
    That isn't bashing - that is stating fact and experience.:rolleyes:

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

maybe because it has vastly improved and isnt bloated anymore?
    it works very well and is light on resourses. dont diss the 2009 line until you have tryed it...

17. StevieE9

I have already read about problems with it on other forums and, apart from that, *unless* the existing *better* *freeware* alternatives somehow reincarnate into things bad I ask again: Why should anyone consider a product from an organisation with such a bad recordo_O?

Let me refer you to VirusBulletin 100 and Matousec firewall challenge results - there is *no* reason to *ever* consider a Norton product that needs paying for, when freeware products actually do *better*.
    Now is that simple logic enough - or do you regularly visit shops or online stores with the express intention of buying products that cost you more and do less well in their use?
    Because that is the logic of buying Norton (or McAfee) home use products.:rolleyes:

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

all the free av's have something i dont like about them. mostly something like nag screen,only being able to update once a day etc. with a paid product whatever av is you get the lastest defs when they are avaliable and dont have to wait ages like a free av.
    i would rather pay for protection.
    i used to hate norton due to it being bloated,not very good at detection and hard to remove. but its now light on resourses,better detection and its easy to remove.
    i still prefer certain other products but its a decent product.
    i never mentioned mcafee and wouldnt really concider using it.
    dont bother to bring tests in to this.. they arent always accurate to real world.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  19. StevieE9

You are simply wrong.

(1)AVG 8 free version has *no* nag screen.
    Avira has a simple way to turn off the nag screen.

(2)Freeware AVs normally include ONE auto update and ONE auto scan per day. BUT you can simply right-click and choose 'update' whenever you wish with *all* freeware AVs and it takes a matter of seconds.
    'being able to' in your post is 100% not fact, and if you meant 'being able to automatically' then you best try and express that grammatically correct.
    If you are courageous you can also get advice on a simple bat file to make it automatic too.

With all respect that is an idiotic comment.
    Detection rate tests are what determine the efficacy of an AV detection database security product. They are standardised and well accepted.
    Leak tests, and tests around how a Firewall reacts to actions on your system (the sole reason for it being there) are crucial. Leak tests and other action tests on Firewalls are also standardised and well known, accepted and understood. They are what determine the efficacy of the product.
    Did you not realise, for example, that only *two* Firewalls (one is the freeware Comodo Professional) pass *all* firewall challenge levels? And that Norton has never achieved that in any test by any organisation? Maybe NIS 2009 will do better *but* it has to be so much better than NIS 2008 that it would of itself win a major award for having gone from being a '32% pass - VERY POOR - DON'T USE!' rating to anything remotely acceptable.

Maybe you can understand now why 67% of 600 million windows systems in the world are infected with malware at any one time, and that Norton and McAfee home products (I mention McAfee because, in spite of being ever so slightly less bad than Norton, they are in the same sin-bin category) come pre-installed on most branded windows systems.
    False security is bad security.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  20. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

freeware products are McD's & Burger King, Norton is like Fudruckers...;)

21. edd3800

edd3800 Registered Member

yes and many independent test shows that Fudruckers has 35% more meat, 20% less likely to give you gas. But will take you 65% longer to complete the task of feeding you.

22. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

download symantec removal tool

23. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Ok, ok, we get the picture. You hate Norton/Symantec. I'm sure everyone here knows that by now. You've made your point. Can we please move on?

24. Edwin024

What strikes me most about the contributions from mister E9 is the absolute stupidity that he expresses, without even be aware of how stupid the things are what he is writing. Because past records show a bad Norton, it can never never improve. My, oh my. I hope the guy has friends who he threats differently.

25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Dude get a clue about what you are talking about. Matousec is fully Bias hell this has been stated on many official forums around the internet from OA to Comodo they all say he is in it nothing but the money. as for Virus Bulletin. if you look at Norton's record it has not EVEN FAILED one sense 99. before you talk down on a product make sure you actually know what your talking about. :rolleyes: and I'm sorry but recent "tests" sense your relying on nothing but them. don't support your view. as they show Norton at the top along with a few other AV's. :cautious:

VB100
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/results?vendor=VE4

Comodo Forums, Matousec firewall challenge results is junk.
    http://forums.comodo.com/feedbackco...esults_2008-t20986.0.html;msg145935#msg145935

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.