Cannot set Opera 12.17 as default

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by djg05, Feb 12, 2015.

1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I am having a problem setting Opera 12.17 as default for url''s.

I have gone into settings and set it to check it is the default on loading, although it asks, it does not solve the problem.

I have uninstalled and installed it but when the options of browsers to choose from comes up, Opera is not listed. I have uninstalled Sandboxie and makes no difference if is installed or not.

I have gone through the files associations and set url to Opera.

When I click on a url in my email or any other, Opera does not show up on the list.

I can copy a url to the desktop and that can be set to Opera, but it only applies to that one case.

This has worked correctly in the past but not for the last few week.

I am all out of ideas now so would welcome some suggestions please.

2. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

This is a registry issue. I think some other browser made registry settings that won't allow another browser to be the default. I can't say more without knowing what OS you are using. Can you set another browser to be defaulto_O? If so, do it and then change to Opera. That might work.

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

I meant to add the o/s but forgot.

It is Win 8.1/64

Avast is installed but uninstalled it but no difference.

Set Palemoon as default then uninstalled PM. Still Opera is not listed in the options. Have Opera set to ask, which it does, but is still not accepted as the default.

Do you know where in the registry this key is kept? Quite happy to go in and change it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.