Cannot restore from external CD burner drive.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by studentguru, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studentguru

studentguru Registered Member

I have read the user manual (pdf file) relevant parts.

I have read quite a few of the posts in this forum (particularly those with the keywords "restore procedure")

And I don't seem to find any answer.

I am using Windows XP home edition (SP2),

I create new bootable CD and disk imaging of my hard drive using Acronis True Image 8.0 build 763

I am storing the tib files on 5 CDs.

No second hard drive. No external drive. Only 1 partition on the hard drive of my laptop.

Here is what happens:

I put Acronis True Image 8.0 bootable rescue disk in my laptop's internal CD drive.

Came to TI window (that looks like it is in safe mode of some kind).

Clicked Restore Image.

Made sure CD 5 (the last of the 5 CDs) is put in the external CD burner connected to my laptop.

Asked TI to read tib file from the external CD burner.

TI cannot read any file. Nothing shows up in that drive.

I put CD 5 in laptop CD drive hoping TI can recognize it. Still no luck.

Therefore, cannot click NEXT on TI window.

What am I missing ?

I remember back when I burned the TI image on to the 5 CDs I checked the quality of the image and TI came back with a clean bill of health. By the way, TI only came back with a clean bill of health if I checked the image on the external burner they were burnt in. .... but if I checked the quality of the image of CDs using my laptop's internal CD drive , TI said there was some kind of problem with the burnt image on Disk 4.

I still have another copy of the whole tib file residing in same drive as the data and system files in my laptop. Should I use it to burn into a new set of CDs and see if they will work? If yes, how to burn from one big tib file into 5 CDs?

Should I get an external hard drive and pray that this time TI will recognize this external hard drive?

Please help.

Thanks a million.

2. Tomq

Tomq Registered Member

Can you see the image files when you try to do a verify while booted from the boot cd? If not, does it still work when you are booted up normally and do a verify?

If you can see the image files while running up in windows, but not see them booted off of the boot cd, then you may be running into the same thing I did. I had to run the "make compatible" routine from the sonic DLA program on the media that contained the images, thereby closing the disks to further writes. Once that was done, I could then see the image files on the burner drive while booted from the boot cd.

-TomQ

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello studentguru,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please download the latest build (826) of Acronis True Image 8.0 that is available at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/updates/? In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/registration/ (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/products/registration/. Then please create a new image on your CDs and try to restore it. If the problem remains please contact us via e-mail support@acronis.com.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

> I put CD 5 in laptop CD drive hoping TI can recognize it. Still no luck.

Can the laptop CD drive read other CD's that you have burned yourself using the external burner? Older drives is often not able to read home-made CD's because the amount of light reflected from CD-R's and CD-RW's are too low for the sensor.

5. studentguru

Thank you everybody for answering . I really really appreciate it. You are the best.

Answeres to a few questions asked by some of you:

Yes, the internal CD drive can read all the CDs burnt by the external CD Drive , as long as I am in Windows XP operating system environment (as opposed to the environment created by booting from an Acronis True Image bootable rescue disk )

And this inludes it (the internal CD drive in windows XP operating environment) being able to read all the tib files in the 5 CDs . The challenge is if I do a Restore Image from there, I will eventually come to a windows that gives me 3 options:
    (1) Close all the running processes in the background
    (2) Restart the computer , which will eventually lead to the same hazy window as using the Acronis True Image bootable rescue disk to start up the computer.
    (3) Don't remember exactly what it is, but definitely not an option for me.

Tomq was kind enough to suggest "Make Compatible" . So I read the instructions that came with Sonic software and put in my CD 5 (last of 5 CDs ) and right click the CD drive looking for "Make Compatible" but cannot find any "Make compatible" to click on.

I must be missing something.

Will give the latest build (826) of Acronis True Image 8.0 a shot tonight .

Pray for me.

Thanks a million.

6. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

Asked TI to read tib file from the external CD burner.
    TI cannot read any file. Nothing shows up in that drive.
    I put CD 5 in laptop CD drive hoping TI can recognize it. Still no luck.
    Therefore, cannot click NEXT on TI window.
    What am I missing ?

I had a similar problem when I experimented tonight getting the last CD recognized. When you get to where you can't click proceed, click back and cancel. Eject the last CD. Go through the process again but DO NOT put the last CD in until you are ready to select the CD drive from the restore list.

BEFORE you select the CD drive to select the image to restore, load the last CD and let it spin up completely - then it should show up and you will be able to proceed.

Kid of funky but you have to fiddle with it.

7. studentguru

Thanks iflyprivate and everyone,

Installed build (826) of Acronis True Image but it did not solve the problem.

iflyprivate , your suggestion sounds great. But I did not try it because I decided to buy an external hard drive and get rid of the multiple CDs that have to be used with the external CD burner.

Fewer CDs less likelihood for things to go wrong. I think.

The external hard drive works great with build (826) of Acronis True Image so far in restoring image from .tib file.

For a 2.5 gig .tib file, it takes about 4 to 5 hours to restore from the external hard drive to my 1.2 Gigahertz laptop.

Thanks a million to everyone who responded.

You are my angels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.